My One & Only Unexplained Experience

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (16 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Chasukposted 12 years ago

I'm going to describe something that maybe happened, or maybe it didn't. I'm skeptical of human experience, even my own.

When I say "happened," I don't mean it in the sense of a single occurrence. This is something that used to be part of my daily life, or maybe it wasn't. Remember my caveat above.

I used to see emotions as colors. I'm not talking about auras. I have no reason to believe that auras exist. I mean that I saw emotions as colors. Maybe I should say that I perceived emotion as color. I perceived honesty as blue. Other emotions were different colors. The shades and hues weren't the same for everybody, but I think the "base" colors were. Dishonesty, perhaps predictably, was red.

I can't accurately describe the experience. For instance, the word "see" isn't quite right. I didn't "see" anything. If you were talking to me, and what you were saying was true, I perceived blue. When you were telling me a half-truth, the blue was tinged with other colors.

If you were a stranger, I perceived nothing. if you were an acquaintance, I sometimes did. If you were a friend or close family, I always did.

I didn't wonder about the legitimacy of the experience until I was in my 30s, by which time I was a hardcore skeptic, so I kept it to myself.

Again, maybe it wasn't happening at all. Maybe it was something that I was projecting. I don't know; it doesn't happen at all anymore. The frequency of these experiences faded rapidly faded after I first confided that they happened at all, about ten years ago.

Anyway, that's my only "paranormal" experience. I thought maybe it would be interesting to someone. Now it all seems like a dream.

1. robilyn profile image61
      robilynposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Have you ever considered that you had an ability that you didn't take too seriously and eventually it faded away? I do see colors in people and can even spot  the color black and gray in areas a person may be ill. Yes, I believe you did see colors, but from what your mind has been taught (Red-angry, green-envy) is not exactly what those colors may specify in each person. A person is surrounded my a multitude of colors depending on the health, status, love and energy they project. Maybe you should try again with someone you are close to, and see if you can at least sense a shade of color in your mind?

1. profile image0
        Chasukposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe.

It was always accurate, but  usually disconcerting. Most of the time, it's best not to know when someone is lying to you.

When someone is feeling X, but they tell you that they are feeling Y, you can't contradict them. They interpret it as an intrusion, which it is. I think I'm glad that it faded.

2. donotfear profile image82
    donotfearposted 12 years ago

Did you actually SEE these colors? Or was it a perception that formed in your mind with recognition to what the colors stood for?

Fascinating.....write a hub about it.

1. profile image0

"See" wouldn't be the right word. I don't know how to describe it. I felt the color blue, I didn't see it. I'm sorry, I don't actually know how to explain it any better than that.

1. recommend1 profile image60
        recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I recall a chess master once describing how he saw the game in colours (actually physically perceived in some way).  Also a savant described how he could come up with huge complex and immediate answers to maths questions because he 'saw' numbers as colours and shapes.

I suspect what you had was real.

1. earnestshub profile image79
          earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree. There is supporting data and those savants are definitely on the level..... plenty of supporting proof.

3. habee profile image90
    habeeposted 12 years ago

I once saw a "sea monster," and so did about 30 other people, including a state park ranger. Really strange!

1. profile image0

I wouldn't recognize a sea monster if I saw one. ;-)

4. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

There is some data (not much) on this as a brain related phenomena.

I know the experience can be duplicated by eating blue meanie mushrooms, or taking LSD.
    I may be in America soon, so will not claim it as first hand experience or it could affect my visa. smile

If I remember correctly it may also be more common in highly intelligent people such as savants without taking any mind altering (think enhancing)substance. There is a TV series in documentary form on savants, it may throw some light on the subject from another angle. smile

5. profile image0
    Wentworth35posted 12 years ago

Some years ago, I developed an ability to put my hand on a picture, with my eyes closed and describe it accurately.  Somethimes these pictures were so specific and unusual, that I don't see how I could have imagined it.  Yet, when I then became interested in science, and read how such abilities are denied by science, then I decided that such things weren't possible.  As soon as I had decided this, the ability disappeared, and has never returned.

I think science has had a change of thinking on that now, that is very interesting by the way, perhaps you have some chance of retrieving it if you see the current evidence. smile

1. profile image0
        Wentworth35posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do you know of any specific scientific research or evidence that points towards such abilities being possible?

Yes Wentworth, but the best compilation of all this research data is now embedded in the high quality and deeply researched series that covers these phenomenal abilities.

It is a lot easier to watch the series than to find all the double blind studies, theories and the evidence that supports it.

I will look for a link to the series if there is one, I can post it here if I find one. smile
          Unfortunately the presenter is terribly annoying.

6. livelonger profile image87
    livelongerposted 12 years ago

Chasuk: I think this phenomenon is called synesthesia, and is fairly well documented if not completely understood. I remember a psychologist explaining it to me (a long time ago, so unfortunately I can't remember enough to explain it to you).

EDIT: I googled a bit and found this, which might be what you're talking about:
    http://scienceblogs.com/cognitivedaily/ … ee_col.php

1. Aficionada profile image80
      Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Synaesthesia is the first thing I thought of when I read the OP.  My daughter has had that ability (definitely when she was younger; I'm not sure about now).  She saw certain letters of the alphabet in specific colors.

Mozart very famously "saw" (perceived?) certain musical keys in different colors and attached specific moods to different keys.

Since some people are saying here and elsewhere that this may abate with time, I wonder whether it may possibly relate to brain development up through young adulthood?  I'll check out the link to see if it says anything along those lines.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)