God, the progeny of human fear, is anti-science

Jump to Last Post 101-115 of 115 discussions (610 posts)
  1. profile image0
    AKA Winstonposted 12 years ago

Fatfist,

Another definition of troll would be the "god of strawmen", as trolls create arguments from dust and reinvent other peoples' statements to make them appear refutable.

1. aka-dj profile image65
      aka-djposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Irrespective of your definitions, I have NEVER used it agains any one who disagreed with me. But I have certainly been kalled one.
      It seems when one has no further constructive points to make, one resorts to name calling and ridicule.

2. profile image0

aka-dj,

Have you a clue as to what you are arguing about or with whom?  Everyone is capable of imagination.  To understand imagined perfection is not to embrace it as valid.  I understand the concept of Santa Claus, too, but I do not accept that imagined concept as real.

The idea that it is somehow shameful to be a human being comes from Christianity and original sin doctrine.  Eliminate that one dumbass concept and it becomes perfectly all right to be nothing more than a human, like everyone else.

The conflict only comes with the imagined idea of godly perfection.  Eliminate that distorted concept, and we are all completely and truly equal.  I'm OK; You're OK.

Eliminate the false comparison to a perfect god and, poof!, the tension of being "displeasing to god" disappears.

I see you have no clue, of who I am either.

Contrary to your accusation, I never said it was shameful to be a human being. Though you are suggesting it must be the case, since you point to me when you say it.
      You seem to understand the doctrine of sin etc. but fail abysmally at Grace.
      But, of course, there is no case to answer as Jesus never existed (in you'all's minds), so the whole issue is technically irrelevant.
      Nice try, mate! big_smile

3. profile image0

aka-dj,

I asked you point blank if you had a clue as to your argument.  That is neither ridicule nor name calling.  You continue to misrepresent my statements and then attempt to create a strawman to defeat what you think I said.

I ask you again - do you have a clue as to your argument that perfection (a human concept) is not the sole basis for human conflict with our nature?

I asked you also if you knew with whom you were arguing as you continually misrepresent my postions.

I cannot help it if you take offense to being called out for not producing a reasonable rebuttle.

4. profile image0

(Contrary to your accusation, I never said it was shameful to be a human being)

aka-dj,

Whether you take a discussion about belief systems as a personal attack is up to you.   I do understand that deeply held belief is often intertwined with ego so that self feels as if it is being attacked.  So let me try another tact.

Would you agree that a human being who rejects your god is in a precarious position?  If so, what is there about that position that is dangerous? 

Now, as a thought experiment, imagine neither you nor anyone else believes there is any danger to non-belief.  Would you feel guilty about wanting to have sex with the hot 18-year-old next door? 

My point being that sexual urges are completely and totally natural to the human species, so that any feeling of guilt about having natural feelings can only occur in response to a belief in an unnatural view of the ideal.  The guilt (or shame) for being unable to meet this unnatural ideal is the cause of the tension that requires forgiveness.

Eliminate this self-created tension, and the need for forgiveness disappears as well.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
      MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't believe in the idea of original sin, but seriously?

If that is the reason why people feel guilty about wanting to have sex with an 18yr old, then I (as the mother of a child that turns 18 next month) am all for the idea!

Religion may or may not have anything to do with that particular issue per person, but (and I am far from a prude) SHOULDN'T you feel guilty about it?  Isn't guilt just a nice, wonderful little fail safe that says "What you are thinking about is bad, don't do it"?

Those "natural urges" to do things that we really shouldn't do need all the failsafes that they can get.  Guilt isn't a bad thing.  Thinking about doing bad things is supposed to feel bad.

2. aka-dj profile image65

I presume this in response to my post, re definition of troll. No, I was merely answering the troll issue. I took nothing as apersonal attack (from you).
      Simply this. Jesus came to seek and to save that which was lost. Since He is the only way to the Father, those who reject Him, will die in their sins. Rather precarious, don't you think?
      Note, I didn't ask you to agree with the theology, just that it exists in scripture!!
      I have no such a neighbour!
      Guilt over wrong(doing) is a matter of conscience. If you have one, you will feel guilty. If you wrong often enough, your conscience will be desensitised, and it will no longer convict you.
      It's not a self defeating concept, somehow introduced by (the) church, or religion. They have merely capitalized on it to control people with it.

5. cathylynn99 profile image75
    cathylynn99posted 12 years ago

i don't think people should ever feel guilty about thinking about having sex or for thinking about killing someone or thinking anything. it's only if we actually hurt someone or plan to hurt them that we need to feel guilty. die gedanken sind frei.

1. cathylynn99 profile image75
      cathylynn99posted 12 years agoin reply to this

and even then, the purpose of guilt is to get us to change course. once we've made amends or changed, it's bye-bye to guilt.

6. profile image0

The only societal structures that adhere to a doctrine that it is not OK to be born human are religious ones - in these structures one must commit some act of contrition in order to be OK.  This silly notion should be enough to reject these ideas out of hand instead of being reasons for voluminous justifications for why it is necessary within the belief system to so such and such.

The tail is wagging the dog - the belief system is the cause of the consternation.

7. profile image0

(I will take this as a yes. God "could have done it" then)

aka-dj,

Regardless of what you take, you should try to read and comprehend.  I specifically stated that it depends of the definition of god.  Creation ex nihilo by the Abrahamic god is a non-sensical assertion.

(Oh, and may I say, all of these above concepts come straight from the Bible. They are not merely "my opinion".)

Geez, dj, it gets really frustrating trying to communicate with you as you don't seem to grasp the significance of the points made - opinion (no yours but anyone's) simply divides subjective from objective.   The bible offers no objective validation of its claims, therefore anything it says is simply opinion, i.e., a subjective claim.

Why is it a nonsensical notion? Just because you either don't understand it, or refuse to accept it?

You say the Bible offers no objective validation? You cannot have objective validation of a past event(s). All you have is evidence of the event. In this case, everything we are a part of in this world, IS the evidence. It (all) came about from "something, at some time".
      The Bible merely gives you an explanation of HOW, just like many scientists, in various fields (try) to explain the same thing. Also subjective!
      No-one can pick up (the) creation event, observe and explain it objectively.

8. profile image0

(Moses did apart the river through the help of the stick. Mohammed did  the moon into two parts and he visited God)

And the neighbor's dog really did talk.

Thank you, Son of Sam, for your imput.  We always welcome the rants of the mentally ill in our midst.

9. profile image0

(Guilt over wrong(doing) is a matter of conscience)

aka-dj,

What about the guilt of the act of simply being born human?   Where does a child learn the guilt associated with normal human emotions and cravings?

If a child sees a piece of candy, he will reach out an take it because he wants it.  That it is not his is not in his cognitive processes.   He learns about stealing when someone slaps his hand and says, no.

Thus, the conflict between the action of stealing and not stealing stems from learned behavior, not any inner portal of morality.

1. cathylynn99 profile image75
      cathylynn99posted 12 years agoin reply to this

i think an older child who has developed a bond with its parents begins to realize that others are humans whom we don't want to hurt, because they are like us, and we don't like being hurt. thus, a child doesn't need to be specifically told that stealing is wrong. he can intuit it from the fact that he knows he is human like others and wouldn't like to be stolen from.

10. Philanthropy2012 profile image83
    Philanthropy2012posted 12 years ago

(HOWEVER, suppose for a moment (if you can) that there IS an ALL POWERFUL, WISE, LOVING GOD, Who can do ALL of this, and more. then it becomes perfectly "logical & feasible" for these miracles to occur)

Aka-Dj, how could you suppose that this is true? You are asking us to believe in something that can't possibly happen to make your argument feasible?

I wrote a hub on this:
    http://philanthropy2012.hubpages.com/hu … s-A-Sadist

11. profile image0

aka-dj,

What you overlook is that knowledge has gained but religious belief has not kept pace with that knowledge. 

Would you concede that it is an absurd notion that to keep a volcano from erupting that a virgin need be sacrificed yearly into the mouth of the volcano?   What is the difference between you ( who I imagine agrees that it is an absurd belief) and the chieftan to orders the virgin sacrificed?  The only difference is in a gain in knowledge about the geological sciences so that now educated chieftans understand that the forces that cause the eruption are not interrupted by virgin deaths.

In the first century stories about miraculous events were not uncommon and widely accepted as true, and many heroes were declared to have been taken whole into heaven, but science has now learned that humans cannot reanimate, cannot fly unaided into the clouds, cannot walk on water, cannot turn water into wine, and cannot become pregnant due to the whims of some occult spirit.

The only difference between the beliefs of the chieftan and his virgin and the beliefs of the modern religionist is that the absurd religious belief is tolerated due to societal decisions to give religions a pass on the need for verification.

If we did not do so, perhaps we could then find genuine human conditions to help alleviate the problems that religions try to solve - solutions that apply to everyone, not simply a group of believers.

You have me confused with organised religion!!

The Bible, to date, has not only supported scientific discoveries
      (with the exception of biased interpretation of the data/evidence)
      but, in many instances pre dated the discoveries made. (IE, flat earth).

Archaeology, is another example of document integrity, of ancient writings.

I see  no conflict myself.

1. profile image0
        AKA Winstonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

(You have me confused with organised religion!!)

aka-dj,

I always thought you were LDS.   Not accurate?

(I see  no conflict myself)

I understand that - it is quite dark in there.

Took u a while to reply.

I actually forgot about this thread.

Correct. I am definitely not LDS.

As for dark, well, not really. We are in the Light.
          I stepped out of darkness some 35yrs ago. smile

12. profile image0

The bible is not a historical document and cannot be offered as realiable proof of the miraculous.  To argue your case you have to do more than simply claim that god has magical powers because you say so.

13. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 12 years ago

Ah another atheist abstraction of reality. Just another attempt to invalidate the tenants of virtue and morality in the name of nothingness...... Brought to you by your friends at the freedom from religion foundation.
    http://demotivationalpics.com/albums/userpics/demotiv_pic_3014-scientists.jpg

1. profile image0

Damn fine argument.  What was that premise again....I don't like it and I'm holding my breath until I turn blue or you agree with me?

14. rbe0 profile image60
    rbe0posted 12 years ago

Fear is based only on perspective. God brings only light, truth and power.

1. profile image0

(God brings only light, truth and power.)

Wow.  God is Con Ed.  Who knew?

15. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 12 years ago

I think it is easy to get ideas of religion and of God confused, because we are used to the god of the religion we are most familiar with.  I have great difficulty in accepting the gods of religion, because they are so obviously based upon manmade truths.  And the fact that different religions have different ideas of god, would seem to suggest that they cannot all be right.  However, I think science is moving nearer to some concept of the supernatural.  Quantum mechanics seems especially to talk in the language of the supernatural, and the old mechanistic view of the universe is giving way to ideas which were once considered to be science-fiction. 

As a result, I am finding myself considering the possibility of an intelligence in the universe.  I don't know if God would be the best word to describe such an intelligence, because of the religious ideas this brings with it.

1. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This thread happened during the heyday of HP.   Since it left off, several good and worthy people have dropped out of the forums, and I find it very sad.  It seems to me that the fun, entertaining and lively discussions have ceased.

Great man, Ernestshub has gone to the Forum In The Sky.  I don't see Melissa, Brenda, AKA around these days.  Hope life is good for all those in the Land of the Living.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
        Castlepalomaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, in was more entertaining and informed.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)