jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

If say you will never lose your faith isn't that closed minded?

1. Jesus was a hippy profile image61
    Jesus was a hippyposted 5 years ago

If you claim you will believe in god no matter what, isn't that closed minded and ignorant of the possibility that there is no god?

1. autumn18 profile image68
      autumn18posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Probably, but I don't think many will agree that they are closed minded for thinking that way. Sometimes I think that the only reason someone would have to be so unwavering with their beliefs is because they don't know or care if it's true. This can go for any beliefs so I'm not targeting believers in God.

Jesus was a hippyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Of course it can go for any belief, but I have only ever experienced it with people who believe in god. I have heard people say countless times that "their faith will never be shaken" and "nothing you can say will stop me believing".

I am just always surprised as to how these very same people actually think that I am the closed minded one for not believing. I dont uderstand the psychology.

1. autumn18 profile image68
          autumn18posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree. It gets confusing when different terminology is used also. I've heard some claim that they know Christ as truth. I like the truth, why don't I know it? Why does one need an unshakeable faith in something that they view as fact? I don't know, I guess it's just semantics?

Sorry, I rambled on lol. I agree that calling non believers closed minded doesn't make sense coming from someone who won't accept any other possibility.

I have a view on truth and belief. The way I look at it, if you believe something, then by definition of the term "belief" you must believe that what you believe is true.

If you didnt think it was true, then by definition, you can't believe it.

2. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

Yes.

Thanks

3. knolyourself profile image61

You're welcome.

4. knolyourself profile image61

Maybe it is a sense of self-worth which can't be stolen like money, so long as they don't change their mind.

I've always thought that there would ha to be some sort of ulterior motive for blindly and ignorantly keeping a belief but if someone is deveiving themselves, then they cannot really believe can they?

How do you fool yourself into believing something, surely you would know that you are fooling yourself?

5. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 5 years ago

I think the natural way for the human mind to work is in a closed way.  Most of the time, we work on auto-pilot, seeing the world as we are used to seeing it.  Our minds project the reality we expect to see onto the world around us.  I believe this is the same for the religious and the atheist.  And everything would seem to support our own beliefs.  Two people could use the same evidence to support their atheism or their belief in God.

6. knolyourself profile image61

"How do you fool yourself into believing something, surely you would know that you are fooling yourself?" Au contraire. Have you never fooled yourself into believing someone likes or loves you when they don't? People believe what they want to believe. I am not addicted. But you are right. Deep down the body knows.

working