jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (49 posts)

Spirituality and Religion; Any difference?

1. Jynzly profile image67
    Jynzlyposted 5 years ago

Religion is a very personal and controversial issue to tackle. There would be unending discussion because we delve into the core beliefs that an individual live by throughout his life. I was teaching in Suarez High School the new subject Values Education which specialized in Godliness in 1993. There were four specialized subjects under Values Education namely; Values Education l - Who Am I(Self-Awareness); Values Education ll - Love Your Neighbours; Values Education lll - Community Service and the highest was Values Education lV - Godliness; this is where I was appointed to major and head the department.
    The Philippines is prevalently a Catholic country and religion is embedded in the lives of the majority. I have never been a Catholic myself so that my colleagues detested my appointment. I had a different strategy and I developed the curriculum teaching Godliness as equated to spirituality rather than to religion. There is a big difference between the two.
    Spirituality is inherent in every human being, whether he acknowledges it or not, whereas religion is a collective faith on something; e.g. God, the Church, religious dogmas, tenets, doctrines, among others.

1. mischeviousme profile image59
      mischeviousmeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Religion is a cult, basically. A cult is nothing more than a gathering of people that share the same idea. For some reason people have tacked on a negative meaning to this, by all of the bad examples. I am not religious because my idea of God differs from that of others. Therefor, I am spiritual because I have my own God.

1. Castlepaloma profile image27
        Castlepalomaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Religion is an ancient spirituality,  most often when you ask a Religious person, what is spirituality? They will state their own Religious group is what Spirituality is all about, which is impossible because we all are spiritual being first, working in degrees of spiritual.

Even if many atheists ignore much of the subject of Spiritualist, yet the atheist knowledge of world Religion is greater then other groups.

About 99% of the earth mass is unknown. Our earth in the broadest context of what spirituality is. Spiritual is the 99% of the unknown World and Universe, until spirituality is manifested into our ego self, in which makes everyone god or the closet concept of God there of.

I'm made of 99% spiritual and 1% material, I feel like hiding now, because some people on this forum may want to lock me up.

Why lock up someone I could clearly be cool with? I'd be missing the point of your conversation if I reacted in such a way.

Not you, I mean mainly the other Religious medieval times people, who may see me as a heiritec threat.

But are not many modern religious just as crazy? They seek to confine the soul to a singular idea and if you are not with them, you're an a-hole, so to speak.

That's why I don't belong to any group (except optimist club), yet so share the idea's that are based on good sense from all groups. A little crazy is healthy, yet repeating yourself over and over again, is on the edge of insanity and limits thinking. The soul is made up of a million parts, wouldn’t want to be in a round world and force to peach in a corner

I mean to share with everyone and not to preach in a corner

That was the original point, but when it became litterary, it became litteral for those that cannot see it critically. I am a spiritualist myself and I say what I mean, not what I feel, though at times I may share my feelings.

2. Jynzly profile image67
        Jynzlyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

There is a slight difference between a regular religious sect from cults. The difference lies on the rigidity of indoctrination. Some religious group are giving freedom to their members to do some basic secular things whereas cults are fearful to disobey any doctrines. Their faith is controlling their behaviours and normal decision making.
        I may say that I sometimes go to a church that do not limit me from my human potentials and won't condemn me to hell if I won't obey their doctrines. I am basically "Godly" but I don't belong to any church. God for me means "Great Intelligence" and this is to acknowledge the Source of all things that exist in this world.

To me God is the universe in which I exist, for this universe gave me life. I do not care for the fantasy of religion, for I live with my own spiritual nature.

Hi mischievousme, I also call "my God" Universe. I agree with you in that sense. I grew up in an almost cult family, my father being a Minister of the Seventh Day Adventist Church. Our religion was very rigid and that is perhaps the reason why I search for the truth in this universe that fit my "own truth". I do not adhere to any religion. Like you, I have my own meaning of God.

This the essence of truth. Find what makes you fit in with the now and how you pertain to the workings of the greater now. Do not think on it, just be it. This a step closer to becoming enlightened, in and of yourself. That is how it worked for me anyway, you may have a different form of reasoning all together.

Well-said mischievousme, that is also my way of reasoning. I exist on my truth and follow my natural flow. Being honest to myself and sincere to everything that I do and believe in is my way of unfolding to enlightenment.

Be open and reply, do not deny. This the mantra that I live by, for there are forms of truth in everything and every action, no matter the cause or the effect.

2. A Troubled Man profile image60
                  A Troubled Manposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Belief in gods has nothing to do with being honest or sincere.

But, you are still religious, by definition. And, you may have created your own version of God, but so has every other believer.

if your definition for religious is faithfulness or loyalty or any other admirable values system then I am religious...When I say I don't adhere to any religion, I mean that I am not a member of any church and I don't agree with indictrination...can you see the difference?

1. A Troubled Man profile image60

You obviously don't know the difference. If you believe in a god, then you are religious by definition, and you have been indoctrinated just like every other believer. Going to church has nothing to do with being religious.

3. Castlepaloma profile image27

JynzlyI

live with a guy that belongs to the Seventh Day Adventist Church This guy's wife is divorcing him over what she claims is his cult and he claims she has stolen his 3 KIDS

I was wondering, in which way is this Religion a cult?

Hi Castlepaloma,
                First I thank you for your polite message. You know, I feel like I should be careful with my words here. I got phobia with the unnecessary attacks from some unhappy people here. Anyway, I am not talking about you.
                Like I said, and I stand by my my words, that religion differs from one another; some are cults while others are just regular religious groups that allow members to live their own lives as they do.

Baloney. Cults are religions, with the one exception that the leader is usually alive at the time. Both are based on indoctrination.

What is balony to you is truth to others.

Just don't reply to him and eventually he might leave the hub. I have watched him disagree with everyone and I think it is because he likes to read his own words.

Thank you mischievousme. Yes I will just keep my sanity and shut my mouth.

No problem. I stopped replying to his nonsense long ago and I feel much better for not feeding into it.

lol Ignorance is bliss.

2. Jynzly profile image67

You know mischievousme, I regret that I replied to him before you warned me. Such a sd state of a man...calling everybody ignorant; he does not even have the idea that the way he delivers his criticism and message is in an impolite and discourteous manner...that is basic ignorance...thanks for being so understanding.

lol Sorry, but it isn't sane to believe in invisible sky fairies.

lol Yes, ignore me so that your irrational beliefs are free to be heard and never criticized, unfettered from any form of reason or logic, to be spread about as if it were manure to help grow more irrational beliefs.

I don't mind the criticism so much as how it is presented. Grow up and learn to be pleasant and people may actually care about what you have to say.

Clogging this young ladies forum isn't making your case for you either. So move on if you can't agree or be nice about it.

lol Move along, nothing to see here.

lol Sorry, but your strategy fails from the get go. No we are not inherently spiritual, that is pure nonsense as there is no evidence whatsoever to suggest such a thing. That is merely just another irrational belief.

Spirituality is directly related to having religion.

How do you understand spiritual? What do you call your feelings of love, (if you have that), anger, sadness...and any emotions for that matter? What do you say on this?  "in the spirit of fun" When I say spiritual I am talking about the intangible things that is within humans. What is there in a believer that you hate so much? If you are not a believer then what do you call anything you follow? Do you just do anything you don't believe in? You don't believe that love exists? that anger exists? I don't understand the standpoint of a non-believer...I hope somebody can enlighten me on this...will you?

It is gobbledegook.

They are emotions based on our physical biochemical bodies. There is absolutely nothing spiritual about emotions.

What intangible things, exactly? Be specific.

Hilarious, pointing out irrational beliefs is hatred. lol

I don't follow because there is no need to follow.

I don't believe in things, I understand them or I don't understand them.

I don't need to believe emotions exist when there is scientific evidence to explain them so that one understands them.

Yes, I know, you have made that painfully obvious by the fact you have little understanding of the world around you.

Sure, start using your mind to think rather than just believe. That would be an excellent start. smile

2. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 5 years ago

Spirituality is a natural inclination for many people.  Need to believe in something greater than ourselves and of this world seems innate.  Religion involves the ritualisation of spirituality, by using certain language or the development of traditions, which over time are considered sacred.

Well-said Muldania. I agree with you.

Sorry I never got back to you, I was distracted by research and writing hubs.

it's okay.

3. melpor profile image89
    melporposted 5 years ago

The difference, you can be spiritual without religion but you cannot have religion without some form of spiritual thinking.

4. Jynzly profile image67
    Jynzlyposted 5 years ago

Hi Melpor,
    Thanks for the comment; I agree.
    Jynzly

5. TENKAY profile image79
    TENKAYposted 5 years ago

I got heart palpitations just reading the 'conversation/debate' between you and A Troubled Man.
    Hello bestfriend.

working