jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

Infinitely now

1. mischeviousme profile image58
    mischeviousmeposted 5 years ago

Time is an infinity of now and every moment is an eternity of creations. Life and time are not easy to explain, they are only relative terms. If one fears the future, what's the point of being alive now? If one looks forward to being happy for an eternity, they are missing this moment and praying for one that does not exist. Right now is all there is, why waste it on people and religions that keep me living in the past?

1. jonnycomelately profile image85
      jonnycomelatelyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Spot on. 

Today is the Tomorrow which you worried about Yesterday, but, dam it! you're still here, Now!

Funny isn't it, that so much attention is given to waiting for eternity to come, sometime in the future?

How much time and energy, money too, is spent on funerals.  The postmortem. The undertakers.  The Hearse.  The Death Notices.  The Flowers.  Everything presuming that the Deceased cares, when it's really for those remaining, Now.  Concentrating on, and refusing to let go of the Past and missing out on the beauty of Now which is so fleeting.

1. diogenes profile image82
        diogenesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

One cannot explain something for which there are no explanations possible with a complex system of grunts and exclamations that is the homo sapien language.
        And "explanations" are completely subjective...how can there be explanations for what is a vast energy field constantly changing and forming shadows (perhaps!)
        Bob

mischeviousmeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Human language is but a complex system of clicks and chirps, designed to convey our primitive responses to a changing environment.

2. mischeviousme profile image58

We're definitely not immortal, every moment is precious.

2. Dave Mathews profile image58
      Dave Mathewsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

In other words: "Live for the moment, for you can never revisit the past and you could die any moment, never to arrive into the future."

In other words, yes. The entire thing is time and every increment is important. If one should want to pray for someone else, don't wish them a better future, wish them a better present. This world won't be destroyed by a God, it will meet it's end at the hands of time. I will enjoy it while I have it, life is too precious to fight over ideals. Fighting is a waste of that time and so is living in the past, I can never be that person again, only who I am now. I'll always be bound by the fourth dimension and time won't stop for me.

2. jonnycomelately profile image85
    jonnycomelatelyposted 5 years ago

So, diogenes, do we accept that using metaphor is a valid practice?  Describing  things and concepts which are not describable?

3. calpol25 profile image72
    calpol25posted 5 years ago

People live in the past because they are afraid of change, forexample where I live the old traditions and customs are still evident although many are trying to modernize and move in to the future most are Neanderthals and refuse too, not because they are stubborn but because they afraid of change smile x

4. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

I have always had a problem with the Buddhist nowness.
    Seems to me mighty boring the always only ever present now as external reality.
    To me my memory is as much as the ever present as reality, because I am remembering now. However I do not dwell in the past much except as research, and focus mostly on thinking in the present, which may consist in my latest love but mostly problems I am engaged.

working