the Christ and the Buddha

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (22 posts)
  1. mischeviousme profile image59
    mischeviousmeposted 12 years ago

Check this video out.

http://youtu.be/n6XNO6Jv3q0

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
      Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Interesting. It would perhaps offer an alternative interpretation on Jesus' saying that "no man can come to the Father but through me"; something like no man can come to God unless he follows my teachings and principles. Then one might argue that one who follows Buddha's teaching would also come to God. Jesus did also say that he had other sheep not of this fold (Israel).

(intellectually we can say these things because as the gospels were written decades after his death we don't have any guarantee that we have his words verbatim).

It's makes for an interesting set of thought experiments, but I'm in danger now of some heresy I'm sure. hmm

mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Did you enjoy the video? Some people think Jesus journeyed east when he was 12, this would explain why none saw him again until he was 32.

1. profile image0
          brotheryochananposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Luke 2:41   Now his parents went to Jerusalem every year at the feast of the passover.
            Luke 2:42   And when he was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem after the custom of the feast.

Luke 2:46   And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions.
            Luke 2:47   And all that heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers.

why would jesus go to india? Gods people are the jews picked from ancient times and he had a work to do there, yes there are jews scattered all through asia, europe and africa but he was sent to those in the abrahamic land where scripture prophesies that out of Zion shall come.... Zion is in jerusalem. Its the full counsel of scripture that gives us an overall view of Jesus ministry and where it should occur not just one single verse.
          Jesus already knew enough to astonish masters and teachers about the scripture, so it was not to learn. Jesus says about others not of this fold but taken in context it does not mean india because if so, then it must also mean other nations as well, some to the east, north and south... but jesus was only concerned with the jewish nation, the restoration of israel and fulfilling scripture.
          When jesus work was done and after his death, then his resurrection he ascended to the father and that is the way it happened.
          We cannot read more into what is already there we need to adopt a conclusion based on the evidence not on our or other peoples preference.

2. Disappearinghead profile image60
          Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes I did enjoy the video. It reminded me that I do not live up to Jesus' teachings. Whilst it would be easy to get misty eyed about the simple lives of these monks uncorrupted by modern society, they are in a very privileged position; the rest of Tibetan society leads a life of comparative poverty and drudgery. Nevertheless, I see the harmony with the Buddhist philosophies and the teachings of Jesus.

The world is a tough place. The monks are no more privileged than anyone else in Tibet. They still have the claws of the Chinese government hanging over them.

2. lalhtt profile image60
        lalhttposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In buddhism there is no almighty god. If you follow the teaching you can become eternal soul. There will be no more rebirth after you gain eternity. (nirwanaya)
        see  www.lankalibrary.com/bud.html "Buddhism differes from other religions because (i) it does not believe in a Creator or an Almighty God who is responsible for all our actions, (ii) Buddhism, in actual sense, is not a religion, though people generally call it so, because there is no belief in, recognition of, or of a higher unseen authority, or a controlling power, but emotions and morality connected therewith, (iii) is a moral philosophy in pursuit of wisdom and knowledge, norms and laws, and all other things connected therewith."

2. PDPoole profile image67
    PDPooleposted 12 years ago

When you consider the original use of the word heretic simply meant "one who questions"....I wear that label in dayglo neon....nothing wrong with questioning...it goes hand in hand (so to speak) with answering! I enjoy your hubs...thanks for making me think......more...

Thanks for reading my hubs, I didn't even think people read those anymore.

3. Insane Mundane profile image57
    Insane Mundaneposted 12 years ago

Yeah, so basically eliminate the dogma dung and organized religions, and praise be the deep-ingrained conscience and altruism that we all possess - for most sane individuals surely know right from wrong and/or what is good for their species when considering long term survival.  At any less than divine rate, simplicity if the ultimate sophistication.

1. profile image0

If only knowing what was right from wrong and being altruistic was all there was to christianity there would be little point to it. The main thrust of christianity is that God be involved in the christians life on a daily basis.
      There is no human concept, thought or path that can make this happen. It only happens through God.

To be connected to God and the universe, all one needs to do is be minful of the interconnectedness of all things. I am God and so are all things living and non. You would say that God is a being, I would say that God is all beings (animal, mineral and human).

1. profile image0
          jonnycomelatelyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Those videos, I found did two things for me. 

First, as one comment said a year ago, I found them a bit "nice."  A nice way of thinking, a nice way of putting it, political correctness, hoping others will agree and therefore make it valid.  A sort of distraction from the real work which each of us has to do.

Secondly, I felt humbled.  So much that I don't know.  How often I get caught up in the argument, when really there is no need to.  The Monk who was not willing to do the questioner's work for him.... "That is your thought. I respect you and your thought.  Only YOU can deal with it."  Whenever I try to get in on the act, that is my Ego at work.

Thank you so much for all this wonderful "food for thought" - and inner practice.

Thank you for taking the time to watch the video and thank you for that wonderful comment.

2. profile image0

Just because things are interconnected is no guarantee of anything except a design that works.
          All creation is truly amazing and beyond what one would expect but that does not raise it to the status of deity and neither does it give any credence to creations ability to impart divine qualities as though through some cosmic consciousness.
          Creations are simply something created by a creator yet they are not the creator and commonly do not inherit the attributes of the creator. In the case of God he told us not to worship the creation in deuteronomy and Paul said it again. Jesus told us it is there for signs and wonders and seasons.
          To say we are all Gods (with a capital G) is wishful thinking indeed. Jesus quoted the OT and "ye are gods" is lower case g which makes a ton of difference, distinguishing god from God does not make them equal to each other. In christianity we can become LIKE God but we will never be God. That should be plainly obvious. And just because we think we are in 'sync with the universe' (whatever that means exactly or how one goes about it) does not connect us to God - the bible clearly mentions this.

I didn't say Gods, I said God. We are all part of the one.

1. Insane Mundane profile image57
              Insane Mundaneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If it isn't found in the King James Version of the Bible,  oue dear "brotheryochanan" will most likely not understand it and/or accept it.  Ahh, such limitations that some people allow their self to have... hmm

1. profile image0

I like the king james version of the bible because it makes me think. It is not an easy read and often strict attention has to be paid and verses reread over a few times and this is a good thing. What i really enjoy is having the original words and their original definitions which give Christians today an advantage over our predecessors. A whole new dimension in understanding is opened. Although i shake my head sometimes at the translated word, Gods truth abounds, loud and clear.

1. Insane Mundane profile image57
                  Insane Mundaneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, if you like the King James Version so well, then get your ass in the discussion @ http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/91952

I started a forum post, just for fanatics like you, although I'm yet to learn anything at the moment, but I'm at least listening ...

1. profile image0

Listening is good

2. A Troubled Man profile image58
                  A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)