is lilith the true symbol of freedom?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (45 posts)
  1. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 12 years ago

Lilith is said to be first woman created by god who demanded equality status...she is said to have disobeyed god and adam ...though she is projected in negatively, do u think she is first soul who demanded no slavery and is symbol of freedom...

1. IntimatEvolution profile image68
      IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

She is the first feminist! 

I have a hub on Lilith, if anyone is interested.  She is a symbol for women to not submit, when told to submit.  But she is also a dangerous icon, and strikes fear in the hearts of men, women, and children still today.  In the Middle East, in some remote regions; Lilith is blamed for all crib deaths and stillborn babies.  So becareful of who you chose as an icon for the women's movement, Lilith doesn't represent my ideology one bit.

I am for free will on both sides of the table.  Lilith raped men.  Sought revenge on children because she was childless...

She is no woman I want associated with my sex.

2. profile image0
      msorenssonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

One of my friends kept posting a lilith on my wall..different pictures but with Lilith as caption.  Forgive my ignorace but the only Lilith I know of is Lilith, Frazier's wife..I am glad I stumbled upon this hub...
      I am not a feminist..somehow the distinction was blurred when I was little having spent most of my time with my father who treated me like he would have treated a son...a buddy..I was his buddy..

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

For sure. Lilith is my hero and my model. Men who raise an eyebrow at the figure of Lilith are, in my mind, insecure of their intelligence and their masculinity.

pisean282311posted 12 years agoin reply to this

lility story also shows who scriptures writers where and who their creation called god is...unfortunately there are people who still take this scriptures in literal sense...

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The funny thing is, those who take it in the literal sense hold up the figure of Eve as the model for women; whereas Lilith is the logical choice. By this story, Lilith was God's vision of perfection. Insisting on an alternate was Adam's first failure to accept God's judgement. Adam was a spoiled brat, whose Dad couldn't say no when he threw a tantrum.

2. IntimatEvolution profile image68
      IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your hero???

She ate children as the myth goes.

She raped boys and men.

She killed children for pleasure.

And she is your hero?

Ted Bundy your hero too?

1. vector7 profile image60
        vector7posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh dear, I knew she was bad but goodness...

Thx for clearing that up in here.

Wouldn't want people thinking she was a 'hero' doing all that now would we.. lol

smile

1. profile image0

I suppose the fact that the figure of Mary Magdalene was slandered for centuries is acceptable to you also? Women need to know their place? If they don't, you expect other women to toe the line and help slander their names....in the name of Jesus? How typically 'Christian' of the both of you. smile

I said none of that, I just don't like the things Intimat posted.

And I don't slander anyone in the Bible, I'm not the judge. I may discern their actions, but not say they are 'horrible' or otherwise. People aren't perfect.

I actually think highly of Mary Magdalene. If I'm not mistaken she loved Jesus very much.

I would say the same if a man done those things.

I wasn't intending to be critical, I don't like pain and those things cause pain. I have seen children take ideas and turn into them because they didn't understand.

Love you Emile.

smile

2. profile image0

We aren't talking bed time stories told to children in medieval times. Simply a woman who was willing to stand up for herself openly and honestly, and leave; rather than have a man force a petty desire down her throat.  I respect that.

I can see you are a fan of Eve. I don't respect that figure. Women like that are backhanded and rarely explain openly what their beef is. They attempt to hide behind a smile while they try to insult others (usually failing) and stab others in the back. They attempt to be the neck that moves the head when in a relationship, because they think their primary asset can only be their womanly wiles. They don't respect themselves so they don't know how to respect others. Sneaky, sneaky. Yep,  I pity women like that.

Beef? Christian women are treated like gold.. Queens..

If the man truly follows Christ.

If the woman is unhappy or has 'beef' then it is an indicator the man is doing things wrong, and is not following Jesus Christ's commandments.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
            MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

ROFLMFAO!

What's funny Ms Barrett?

I'm being sincere. Is there doubt what I say has any truth?

I would like to understand your view if you don't see things the same.

I've never met anyone who only laughed at my sentiments regarding that subject.

Or do you just not believe in Christ?

You seem very, very amused. But I can't see any reason for it.

I believe treating women with love and appropriate kindness and being understanding is immensely important. I did not fabricate the way I feel about the subject though. It is a product of Christ's teachings, and He is the cause for me understanding that I should be so toward them.

smile

2. profile image0

Vector, since you said you love me in a previous post; I'll let this one slide. smile

lol..

Well it's only because it's true. wink

smile

3. Disappearinghead profile image60
            Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"If the woman is unhappy or has 'beef' then it is an indicator the man is doing things wrong, and is not following Jesus Christ's commandments".

Some women are just stroppy cows with a random thought generator for a brain, you can't blame a man for that! wink

lol lol lol

My goodness, I suppose there is a man equivalent to that.

I think I can think of a male individual in the forums right now with a random thought generator for a brain.. lol

I believe 99% of hubpages would agree.

[If you can't guess, don't ask.] lol

smile

3. skyfire profile image81
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

Who cares? Whoever plays the role of Lilith in any random hollywood movie is usually hot. lol

4. Disappearinghead profile image60
    Disappearingheadposted 12 years ago

I'm not convinced of Lilith's existence. I've read few articles, and unless I'm very much mistaken, she is a character from folklore and superstition. She doesn't get a mention in the Hebrew scriptures so doesn't appear to be taken seriously by Israel.

For the record I don't think that Adam and Eve were real characters either.

ya adam ,eve is story according to me...but even if we consider lilith as story, she was strong woman ....

roll

Deny the Bible as nonsense..

Uphold a made up legend as truth..

You people must be joking me......................

1. profile image0
          Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sadly, I don't think they are joking...

1. Disappearinghead profile image60

No I'm not joking. I don't think Lilith or two individuals called Adam and Eve ever existed. the latter two are analogy, a position accepted by most Jews and the Catholic and Anglican Churches.

Considering the genetic evidence that homo sapiens came out of Africa, where do a literal Adam & Eve fit in? If they are literal then we must accept a Young Earth Creationism interpretation of events...... which of course is nonsense.

1. Paul Wingert profile image60
              Paul Wingertposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No there's no joke. Adam (Sam Malone), Eve (Edith Bunker), Lilith (Maude) never existed. Neither did the talking snake. Cute story though.

2. vector7 profile image60

roll lol

Looky, we have a true Christian here... The Bible is true AND nonsense...

lol lol lol

You couldn't make some of the theories you people adopt up in a fiction novel and make anyone believe it. Wait, no, my bad - the atheists would. lol

You people don't read The Holy Bible.. You re-write it!

lol lol lol

[I still love tou DH.. But I don't agree with a molecule of anything you write..]

I know you're probably upset. No more replies friend, don't worry.

smile

The nonsense is to assume the whole bible is literally true. Jesus parables make little sense if read literally because they are analogy. Revelation makes no sense at all literally. So why should Genesis be any different?

Or do you think Adam was literally made from a pile of dust and Eve literally from his rib? What are you going to do with the genetic evidence for the ancestry of man?

Genesis was not written by Moses, but by at least four authors spanning many centuries. Chapters 1 and 2 contradict each other if read literally; the events are in a different sequence.

Now I'm sorry if you think genetics and anthropology belong in a fiction novel, that's just too bad.

1. mischeviousme profile image61
                  mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

He got his education at a christian school, don't blame him for his lack of understanding. He doesn't know any better, it's been drilled into his head since he can remember.

Remember:
                  Only the truly self critical are smart enough to break away. If one cannot listen to what he/she says, for him/herself, they will never grow beyond their own conditioned responses.

2. HeadlyvonNoggin profile image85
                  HeadlyvonNogginposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I do think Adam was literally made outside of the progression of natural humans. The first 3 verses of chapter 6 explain our genetic connection to Mitochondrial Eve when it says the 'sons of God' found the 'daughters of humans' beautiful and married any of them they chose and had children by them. It then goes on to explain that humans are mortal and only live 120 years, one chapter after showing Adam's descendants living for centuries.

All modern humans, with the exceptions of tribal cultures in central Africa, the Aborigines of Australia, and some of the island-bound tribes that never bred with modern humans, share ancestry both with Eve from Genesis and Mitochondrial Eve.

Genesis 1 and 2 don't match because they're not the same event. Genesis 1 is the early humans (homo habilis, neanderthals, homo sapiens) who all originate in the Great Rift Valley in Eastern Africa, Genesis 2 is Adam in Mesopotamia. Genesis 2 even says God placed Adam in the Garden east of where he was formed....

Genesis 2:8 – And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden, and there He put the man whom He had formed.

The Sumerians, the Akkadians, The Babylonians, the Greeks, and the Romans all told stories of immortal human-like beings, male and female. In the case of the Sumerians, they all spoke of these beings being on the earth and physically inhabiting the temples of the pre-flood Sumerian cities.

Both mythology and rapid advancements in technology and civilization in that region support the idea that an advanced 'tribe' of humans existed there for a time that forever changed the human race. The bible says they existed for nearly 1700 years before they were wiped out by a flood.

Then, a handful of Noah's descendants, made up of both bloodlines as indicated by the gradual decrease in lifespans, got dispersed into an already populated planet, spreading free will throughout the world.

3. vector7 profile image60

There is still a line DH, and you question anything you personally don't understand. Jesus taught in parables because that is how the Old Testament teaches.. Through stories of history. People's choices, and actions, and God's teaching them for you to read about and learn. Jesus also taught in parables to seperate the wheat from the chaff.. Some people just want a handout from God demanding answers and miracles wanting the good, but not caring about God.

It's either written through man by the Holy Spirit, namely God, or not.

You make EVERYTHING a simile or metaphor.. as if the entire book was poetry.

You jump off the deep end making up new doctrines when people have been reading this stuff long before you got here, and if you'd listen to them instead of bashing all of their advice you'd understand more of the scripture and would question it's meanings less...

smile

Oh dear, I think you have me confused with someone else. hmm

I don't job off the deep end, I'm a professional systems development engineer; it's not something we do. But as I'm trained to do, I question everything, continually analyse and scrutinise to see if the commonly held belief can be supported by evidence, and look to see where tradition has changed the common understanding. Whether we talk about IT, engineering systems or theology, the approach is the same; emotionally detached logic to get to the truth.

As for making up doctrines, that's what the Church has done since medieval times. I look to see what doctrines are held by Judaism and the early Church and compare these to doctrines held by fundies today.

My advice to you is never ever accept what anyone tells you until you can find support for their claim from independent sources. Remember that next time your pastor of choice spoon feeds you a doctrine.

3. HeadlyvonNoggin profile image85
              HeadlyvonNogginposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I see how and why you view it that way, from hubs of yours I've read and previous comments you've made. The part that throws me is the fact that Genesis gives such specific detail about descendants that followed. That doesn't fit with the idea of them being metaphorical representatives of a group of people.

But seeing Adam and Eve as literal doesn't necessarily mean 'young earth' is the only other option. I mean, look at the humans in Genesis 1. They did exactly what God said, to the letter. Early humans historically confirm this. They populated, subdued, and established dominance over the animal kingdom globally. If early humans had free will like Adam and Eve and everyone that followed clearly did, that wouldn't have happened. Humans are too unruly to accomplish such a large, specific task.

With Adam and Eve, they weren't told what to do. They were only told what not to do. They were put in that peculiar test-like scenario with only one rule, which they broke. Then came the wicked element that required a flood not long after. Wickedness that's only possible through free will.

I do believe Adam and Eve were specific individuals. They were the first beings to ever exist with a will outside of God's. History reflects this. The rise and spread of civilization reflects this. The tribal cultures that still exist today, that haven't bred outside of their ancestral roots, who continue to be content with simply living a life in harmony with nature reflects this.

I think A&E were given to us in order to provide a framework for some useful teaching on God's principles and the nature of man. It's possible they were actual individuals, somebody had to have been the first to know God, but I can't take Genesis literally.

2. pisean282311 profile image62

roll @vector7 believing in bible myths stunts me....boy we are living in 2012...gud mor...we are not living some 2k yrs back where creative writing full of imaginations was considered to be true

lol lol lol

Do it again..

This is hilarious.....

HIT REPLY, HIT REPLY!

2. vector7 profile image60

Well pisean.. You done it again.

I like you too, but you make me laugh sooo hard sometimes.. lol

Hope your not mad.

From person to person,

-v

smile

@vector7 i like ur madness about bible...as long as people like you are there , laughing wont become extinct...harry potter ,super man,spider man , jesus christ etc would remain icons lol

Whatever you say, I don't particulary see the analogy's connections besides sarcasm.

But ok.

smile

@vector7 sarcasm...may be but out of my love for you smile

5. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 12 years ago

being equally yolked is a good thing ...  as long as you both don't feel that you  HAVE TO  be the one standing on the right side all the time.

6. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

Having a pretty good idea how any daughter of mine was going to turn out, I actually named her Lilith.  I was fairly accurate.

Of course my third son was named Kaine...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)