jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)

What About Buddhism?

1. profile image0
    Peelander Gallyposted 5 years ago

Nearly everything in this forum deals with Christianity and the existence of a single omniscient deity. While I don't follow any type of religious doctrine, I've always identified most closely with Buddhist beliefs and teachings. The middle way is always the best; want is the source of all suffering; all living things should be respected because no one creature is more important than the next.

People seem more concerned with trying to prove their particular convictions are right than they are with understanding others. Christians, Muslims, atheists and Jews probably have more in common than some of them would like to think. What are some of your more universally applicable beliefs?

1. Hokey profile image60
      Hokeyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Buddhism makes sense to me. There is no black and white. Life is in the gray. The middle of the road, the path........... Namaste

1. kess profile image60
        kessposted 5 years agoin reply to this

But understanding the grey isn't grounded upon understanding the black and the white?

1. profile image0
          Peelander Gallyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

In some ways. Right and wrong themselves are grey, but it seems like certain things such as the examples I gave could be agreed upon by everyone.

2. mischeviousme profile image61
      mischeviousmeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I write in the Buddhism threads from time to time. Though I don't see any form of thought to be the best. Fun maybe. Best? No.

3. gregas profile image82
      gregasposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Don't people have anything else on their minds besides religion? Greg

1. mischeviousme profile image61
        mischeviousmeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

When religion is gone, people will sto talking about it...

2. A Troubled Man profile image61
        A Troubled Manposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You mean, outside of a Religion forum? smile

3. profile image0

That's kind of my question, haha. I don't care about major religions and their polarising effects on people; it seems better to consider what's in front of us before we have the audacity to attempt to prove things beyond anyone's capacity to understand, rationalise or verify.

2. innersmiff profile image74
    innersmiffposted 5 years ago

I like the golden rule and the non-aggression principle. I think these guidelines most would agree with but few actually follow.

3. profile image51
    joe scaliseposted 5 years ago

I do not believe in or participate in organized religion. Religion spawns hypocracy.  The concept of God is unexplainable beyond assumptions and opinions. I would not attempt to impose my beliefs on anyone but they suit me. I haven't examine Buddhism and maybe I should.  My personal experience with the Catholic churc h and my ex-wifes connection to an born again christians faith turned me against organized religion but I am open to philosophical reading that is not built around fire and brimstone.

1. profile image0

You should look into it, it's probably the least divisive of the major religions.

4. TheMagician profile image92
    TheMagicianposted 5 years ago

Practicing Buddhist here smile

working