Christian Monasticism

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)
  1. profile image0
    lambservantposted 12 years ago

Do you think Christian monasticism is scriptural? Many in this movement claim that Jesus and Moses and others in the Bible practiced it when they went out into the desert to fast and pray. I disagree. They did not do it as a lifestyke, they did it to seek the Father and went back to the world in God's strength to do the work of the Kingdom, which involved reaching out to the lost. We as Christian are called to pray and fast, but I don't believe a lifestyle living in remote areas, away from society, even if it's in a community of others with the same vow, and seek perfection and holiness. the reason I think this way is that Christ did mean for us to retreat from the world as a lifestyle. Seasons of prayer, fasting and solitude is necessary from time to time. But what good does being holy if you cannot give it away by being salt and light. Christ was out with the masses. Moses dealt with children of Israel. We cannot carry out the great commission living in seclusion. We are called to put hands and feet to our faith by sharing our faith with the world, who desperately needs Christ.

The scripture about sell all you own and give to the poor is taken out of context. It was said to the rich young ruler who made money his god. Anyway, just my thoughts. Would love to hear from others.

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is hugely interesting.  This question has fleetingly crossed my mind, but I've never really thought about it in-depth.

Jesus was out with the masses, yes, but he didn't marry and become immersed in the worldly nor physical things like marrying; He knew His purpose wasn't in that.  And I dunno about all the disciples!  Except the Bible says Peter was married.  (Odd, that fact, since the Catholic Church considers itself based on Peter's life, yet their priests and monks and nuns don't marry, and they live secluded lives as you described)...

You've brought up good points about the balance between seclusion and the Great Commission...

There's a place in the New Testament where the disciples did band together as far as giving tithes etc. into the common group.   I need to look that up and study this further!  Great topic of discusssion. smile

2. Dave Mathews profile image59
      Dave Mathewsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Since I have no clue how monasticism is in reference to Jesus, I honestly cannot offer an answer.

Jesus walked and lived amongst the people of the land, often being swarmed by them seeking His miracles and His teachings. Jesus socialized, eating and drinking with all sorts of people, especially those who were seen by the Pharisees as sinners, or diseased.

2. Eric Newland profile image61
    Eric Newlandposted 12 years ago

What do you mean monasticism doesn't help others? Haven't you ever had Trappist ale? Best dang beer I've ever tasted! I love those crazy monks!

On a more serious note, monks have contributed some very real things and ideas to the world at large. Influential writings, scientific discoveries (e.g. genetics). I could never choose such a lifestyle for myself, but I wouldn't judge others who chose it either. I think they have a role to play.

3. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 12 years ago

Here it is.  In Acts 5: 31:

"And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness.

(32)
    And the multitude of them that believed were of one accord of one heart and one soul: neithe said any of them that aught of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things in common."

34 goes on to say they sold their possessions and brought the money to give into a common till (anyway, laid it at the apostles' feet in verse 37).

Is that monasticism?  I don't think that prevented them from going out and preaching the Gospel to others?   And remember Peter was married....so he couldn't be considered a monk...or not?    I'm just asking questions here the same as the original post.....

4. Hyphenbird profile image82
    Hyphenbirdposted 12 years ago

We are told to go into all the world and teachthe good news of the gospel. We cannot do that if we isolate ourself in remote confines. The times when we get alone to seek God are important and sacred. But our mission is to lead the lost to Christ.

5. eseymore profile image59
    eseymoreposted 12 years ago

I would think that it is a blur of understanding, not that it is monasticism but a walk of life.  For those Christians who actually walk the walk take their faith and understanding to the masses.  It is not that you live a life hidden away with God alone.  You are to be vastly different from others which is stated in the Bible.  You are to be an reflection of Christ.  In this day and time and with most people you can talk to them all day long.  You can give them the proof in the Bible.  Yet, it is when they see it is when most will believe it.  Various different religious doctrines take different stands on a way of life.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)