comparative religion

1. mischeviousme profile image59
    mischeviousmeposted 5 years ago

I've been mulling over the many responses I get in my threads and I've come to a single conclusion, which may only be right by me.

I find that the psychology of a religious person, really only differs a little from that of the atheist. Both have an education (pertaining to each individually sellected route) and both have a concept as to what is true or reasonably true.

The theist side:
    They believe whole heartedly, that what they have learned is absolutely true. They adhere to customes and rituals, put together by rationaly thinking individuals.

The atheist side:
    They believe whole heartedly, that what they have learned is absolutlely true. They adhere to concepts and methods, put together by rationaly thinking individuals.

The agnostic side:
    They can't decide whether or not to believe, that what they have learned is absolutely true. They adhere to their own reasoning and logic, put together through individual experiences, yet have a background in theist/non-theist education.

No matter what the belief is, religious or not, It is only comparable by the psychology of the choice. If I choose to be a theist, I am going with what I believe is rational. If I choose any side, really, I am making said choice upon a level of rational understanding. Logic may have nothing to with my choice...

2. jonnycomelately profile image85
    jonnycomelatelyposted 5 years ago

If you don't mind, I would like to explain the thoughts and perceptions which have come to me during the past few days, both in Cuba and Haiti.

In Cuba I saw (I think) a country which has a lot of tolerance of any religion a person feels drawn to, provided it does not put itself forcefully on people who don't care about it.  It's a "communist" administration, where people are cared for by right, the right conferred by the people themselves, through Government.  It's a "welfare" state where you do not have to be rich in order to get medical attention if you are ill.  If your skin is very dark brown, or light brown, or pink (viz. white) it does not matter, you are a Cuban person with all the entitlements and there is no colour prejudice.  The main factor is that "religion" does not hold the reins. 

In Haiti, again as I see it, religion is very prominent.  Numerous forms of religion, including christian of various hues and voodoo.  The beliefs of any individual or group of people I respect totally.  It is their needs being met by the beliefs in who- or what-ever they wish to focus on.  The "faith" is extremely important in every-day life, giving faith, hope and charity in varying degrees.  Amidst squallour and destitution, brought about largely by the capitalist, profiteering mentality, is difficult to bear without the succour and solace provided by religion.

In conclusion, it is probably the circumstances in which we find ourselves which dictates what religious perspective will suit us.  For me to accept any one's point of view, I have to try to put (imagine) myself in their position.

1. mischeviousme profile image59
      mischeviousmeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Which was the point of the thread... It is a psychological comparison of individual choice, there was no reason for the thread. I was just giving a general overview...

working