Who are the most inspirational sports people ever?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (37 posts)
  1. misstoughcookie97 profile image60
    misstoughcookie97posted 11 years ago

In my opinion- I believe- Antonio Nogueira, Drew Brees and Paul Pierce.

What are your suggestions?

1. kingkos profile image61
      kingkosposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lebron James - people just jealous of him but we know last 2012 he is the best in nba.
      Nonito Donaire - A Boxing champ and next to be pacquiao in boxing.

Maria sharapova - beautiful and talented tennis player

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
        Castlepalomaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

1 Micheal Phelps
        2. Jim Thorpe
        3. Ali

People who changed the sport

2. profile image0
      number2sonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't like Paul Pierce.

2. A Driveby Quipper profile image57
    A Driveby Quipperposted 11 years ago

Jim Thorpe, Jesse Owens, and Satchel Page.

3. misstoughcookie97 profile image60

Some very interesting and most certainly inspirational names!

4. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 11 years ago

The ones who don't cheat the system and those who don't do drugs.

misstoughcookie97posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good point

5. Samith Jhon profile image57
    Samith Jhonposted 11 years ago

I say Jackie Robinson deserves to be the most inspirational of all time. He did so much for sports in general. Plus, not only did he change the lives of future African American professional athletes, but every other race out there.

6. bizarrett81 profile image68
    bizarrett81posted 11 years ago

One of my personal favorites is Bo Jackson... he was an unbelievable talent but unusually humble...

Tiger Woods became the first billionair athelete. My Second thought was Golf dose not feel like a real sport and he cheated on his wife.

Lance Armstrong took drugs for all 7 tour de France wins 

Screw both of them

1. bizarrett81 profile image68
        bizarrett81posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have to laugh out loud at this.  It is hard to look up to athletes, or really anyone for that matter, because if their secrets are exposed, its like ripping the beard off Santa Clause...

7. CyclingFitness profile image90
    CyclingFitnessposted 11 years ago

Despite the current backlash Lance Armstrong to me was an inspiration growing up and in many ways still is. I know what I saw on those TV screens and on a brief visit to Paris many years ago to watch on the Champs Elysees.

To battle back from cancer AND even ride a bike again is an inspiration in itself. But to win a Tour De France (On drugs or not!) is an achievement beyond the gross majority of successful sportpeople.

I watched Lance from his recovery though all those Tour De France wins against many other athletes who have since been punished for doping. It was a level playing field in many aspects and he went on to overpower the opposition in a way that the invincible Lance Armstrong of old would have done.

Whether you like it or not he bought cycling to the mainstream and without his presence many of you would likely know little about the sport. Cycling rode the Lance Armstrong juggernaut in many ways to it's benefit and loss. It's 8 years since his last Tour De France yet the media talks like it was last summer.

Yes- I'm not happy that he duped me and others but that era in cycling is over and a cleaner sport has arisen as a result.

misstoughcookie97posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think Lance Armstrong let down a lot of people. It sort of gave a lot of people second thoughts on many sports stars now- whether to trust them or not.

2. Castlepaloma profile image75

Why not have the drug Olympics, for those who need to cheat?

1. profile image0

You can't do that, because noone would want to watch it, unless it was marketed extremely well.

I'ts most likely would not get pass the insurance brokers.

1. profile image0

I don't know.

Can you imagine a weight lifter pushing up a couple of tons on a barbell and then his arms falls off and blood is shooting out everywhere? I don't think the insurance companies could look the other way

1. profile image0

Probably not.  It would save them money wouldn't it?

It's more about the money,
                  Too bad, Japon almost cancel baseball because American did not send their best player to the Olymics

Olymipics

2. profile image0

Yes, it is.  By the way, you probably mean Olympics.

8. profile image51
    pedromoralezposted 11 years ago

Ayrton Senna - the legend of Formula 1. Died in an accident while leading the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix...A great talent and personality

9. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image72
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 11 years ago

Roberto Clemente. He died in a plane crash in 1972 while delivering aid to earthquake victims in Nicaragua.

What's so inspirational about Maria Sharapova? Oh never mind.

1. profile image0

Roberto Clemente was definitely very inspirational.

10. ftclick profile image56
    ftclickposted 11 years ago

I don't want to pick the "most" gifted/talented sports figures so here are my guys who worked their skill to their maximums

- Jimmy Connors
    -  Sugar Ray Leonard
    -  Magic Johnson
    -  Phil Jackson (as a coach)
    -  Hakeem Olajuwon (off court charities and on court brilliance)

- I could find no NFL or MLB players that fit

1. profile image52
      Cjw33posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow. Hard to belive one cant find a single NFL or MLB player that have "worked their skill to their maximums". Its very hard for me to not think a player like Adrian Peterson has done this. Of course he has gifts you and I dont have, but he has also maximized those gifts. He never cheats himself.

1. profile image0

I do like Adrian Peterson, except for his huge ego.  Even though he works very hard, he is not very humble, and I would like him better if he was.

11. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 11 years ago

Let's give a few Brits a shout out:
    Daley Thompson
    Ian Botham
    JPR Williams (Welsh Rugby Player)
    Steve Redgrave (British Olympian with Golf medals in four different Olympics)
    Sebastion Coe
    Roger Bannister

Other world athletes:
    Pele
    Roger Federer
    Mike Tyson
    Martina Navratilona
    Nadia Comaneci

12. misstoughcookie97 profile image60

Great lists from everyone!!

13. misstoughcookie97 profile image60

I'd also like to add Drazen Petrovic as well.

14. billypetty22 profile image59
    billypetty22posted 11 years ago

By far Pete Rose is the most inspirational player sports has ever seen. He never took a pitch off, and played every game like it was his last. If you ever want to follow how someone plays and looks at the game of baseball, Pete Rose is your man.

15. Y2G profile image61
    Y2Gposted 11 years ago

Paul Pierce is definitely not what I would call an inspiration outside of the incident before the draft. An inspiration is someone like Adrian Peterson.

1. profile image0

I agree with you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)