jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Should Professional Sports men be Sacked due to infidelity or issues in their Pr

1. Lady_E profile image75
    Lady_Eposted 8 years ago

Should Professional Sports men be Sacked due to infidelity or issues in their Private life?

England Football Captain was sacked 5 Feb due to an Affair etc. I think what happens in his Private life should not interfere with his Professional life. It doesn’t affect his football. What are your thoughts?

2. Hmrjmr1 profile image80
    Hmrjmr1posted 8 years ago

While I do think there are appropriate lines to be drawn for even the most public figure. What is lost I think on most folks is that there is a business side to any sports franchise. The decision to keep or release a player based on personal life depends on how the management thinks it will affect that franchise. As such that is why many pro sports contracts involve several morals clauses that delineate what actions a player can be released for. I would suspect that is the case here.

3. dabeaner profile image56
    dabeanerposted 8 years ago

For infidelity, no.  For shooting someone, yes.

4. JDove-Miller profile image78
    JDove-Millerposted 8 years ago

Unless the athlete commits a crime, he should probably not be fired or penalized for his private behaviors.  Here in the US, this is mostly true, though, once in awhile, that line gets blurred.  Sometimes, if the athlete is not well liked by management and the fans, his private affairs do get him fired.

5. Pete Maida profile image60
    Pete Maidaposted 8 years ago

Infidelity no, it's his wife's job to sack him and take him for everything that she can.  Althletes carrying guns should not only be sacked; they should be in jail.

6. TheWatchman profile image87
    TheWatchmanposted 8 years ago

If its a dangerous crime, of course! But what they choose to do relationship wise, no matter how ethically wrong it is, should have zero impact on a persons profession.

7. MochaBelle profile image64
    MochaBelleposted 7 years ago

I think when we are considering professionals, either athletes or entertainers, it is easy to label them as "role models" who are to uphold a superb moral code before the world. This is so unrealistic and unfair. How often does your job ask you, "So, Sally, how's that affair going?" or "Hey Bill, your gambling habit holding up?"....of course they don't, because at the end of the day, your boss wants to make sure you are performing your job. What you do at home is your business.

With athletes, the same goes, yes they are on the "world stage" but they are performing a job....to provide entertainment through athletic prowess. If they decide to have affairs....so be it. If we start to scrutinize them on their personal flaws, then all of us should be subject to the same scrutiny from our bosses as well....

8. DaMan92 profile image63
    DaMan92posted 7 years ago

No i do not think that the athlete personal life should effect his professional career. I just do not think what an athlete does behind closed doors should be any one else's business

9. Totty2457 profile image55
    Totty2457posted 7 years ago

Incidentally, he was not sacked, he was stripped of his captaincy, but nevertheless absolutely not, no. Why should a man (or womans) private life interfere with his/her professional life? Unless his/her actions were contravening gross misconduct towards their club/employer then it should have no bearing.

If he wants a saucy bit on the side, thats his business!