jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Football is called soccer in the US. My question is : Where did the term "soccer

1. Good Guy profile image86
    Good Guyposted 7 years ago

Football is called soccer in the US.
    My question is : Where did the term "soccer" originate?

2. fresnavee profile image54
    fresnaveeposted 7 years ago

It comes from football being known as association football in England. It was called this way to distinguish it from other sports (such as hand football).

"Soccer" came from "association" being abbreviated to "soccai'" which then evolved into the word "soccer".

3. Christene profile image71
    Christeneposted 7 years ago

The term soccer started in England in the 1880s to distinguish the game from rugby.

4. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 7 years ago

the term was coined in England after the Formation of the Football Association in 1863, changing from soccai to soccer by about the 1880s, it is just a corruption formed from soc in association.  The game had been played, in England, in one form or another, since Celtic times when an enemy's head served as the ball.  I suppose there was a need to modify the laws:-)

5. Kim M Gregory profile image60
    Kim M Gregoryposted 6 years ago

I found this: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ … r.htmlIt's an abbreviation of association football. Both soccer and American football come from the same set of precursor sports, which became popular in upper-class English schools in the early 19th century and spread across the Atlantic. All these games involved advancing a ball through an opponent's territory and scoring at the far end, but the rules varied from place to place. Ultimately, the version adopted as standard in the United Kingdom came to be known as association football, while another set of rules won out in the United States. Thus the Americans took to calling their gridiron variety football, and referred to the British sport by the slang term soccer, derived from the soc in association.