jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Soccer or football? What do you call it?

1. Stickypony profile image75
    Stickyponyposted 5 years ago

Soccer or football? What do you call it?

2. MickS profile image73
    MickSposted 5 years ago

Football.  The original game was called football, a varient of the games played by English villages, it was more like rugby, but with no rules.  After the laws of football were formed in 19c, England. Ellis, at, Rugby school, picked up the ball in a throwback to the old game and laws and game of rugby came into being, all other other similar sports are throwbacks to the original game and formulation of the laws of football, and rugby formed in England during the 19c. that was the first and is football, it is said that during the macking of the rules, the game was called association football, and the soccer came from that, possible, but I've only heard it called football.

3. arksys profile image93
    arksysposted 5 years ago

Football                                                                           .

4. saitam profile image81
    saitamposted 5 years ago

Football, or as we call it in Portugal, Futebol

5. chef-de-jour profile image95
    chef-de-jourposted 5 years ago

I call it football because I was born and brought up in England where the game originated. Football, football, football! Not soccer, which is a combination of two words, (assoc + er), and was invented I think by the Australians and perhaps the Americans who didn't want to confuse football with...err...football. Both countries have their own version of football, which is, of course, not football, but more akin to rugby (sometimes known as rugger).

The oldest game of football still played in Derbyshire, England, is the Shrovetide football game between the Uppers and Darners (Downers) in the village of Ashbourne. It has been going for hundreds of years. I have a hub in which it appears (cultural differences between dutch and english!) and there's more detail in that. Suffice to say that it is a rough, tough game and was originally played, rumour has it, with the head of anyone executed at the time!

6. pradiiphira profile image73
    pradiiphiraposted 5 years ago

for me its always FOOTBALL                           

but one thing.   

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet."

Just enjoy sports.

7. Lady_E profile image76
    Lady_Eposted 5 years ago

In UK, Football is referred to as Football or Footie - a popular slang.

8. Ushnav profile image62
    Ushnavposted 5 years ago

Soccer, Football. Potato-Pohtato. Doesn't matter what you call the sport, just worship it!