jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is it unusual for a child to write with one hand and throw with the other?

1. Heuchera profile image79
    Heucheraposted 7 years ago

Is it unusual for a child to write with one hand and throw with the other?

2. jennshealthstore profile image88
    jennshealthstoreposted 7 years ago

My child is left handed. She writes with her left hand. But there are certain things she does with her right hand. She will sometimes eat with her right hand, and throw with her right hand. My father was ambidextrous, she maybe that is why she does things with both hands. But I do not think it is unusual. Actually I think it is great. Have you ever tried doing things with the opposite hand, its hard! : )

3. neorane profile image57
    neoraneposted 7 years ago

Not at all.  In fact as a child I would throw, write, and even draw with both which sped up the process considerably.  Then school teachers forced me to use my right hand for all that stuff and then sports tried to do the same cause that is what most people do.  However, if your child is still young, encourage him/her to develop the motor skills and eye hand coordination to do it with both.  It greatly improves their capacity to visualize and you will see over time that certain activities will tend to lean one way or another.  Often the brain has not decided what it prefers yet.  You child may also switch hands when grabbing different objects and you will notice a pattern.  What usually happens is that one side will 'prefer' fine motor skills and will be more accurate while the other is more 'power' movement. Which would explain your child's situation perfectly.  If you want some suggestions on how to encourage the development let me know.

4. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 7 years ago

that doesn't sound unusual.  I think we are used to everyone having the "same' behavior patterns.  so when we see something different it is considered weird or off.  I would consider that child versatile.

5. J@ps profile image76
    J@psposted 7 years ago

As already noted by all the others, I will add that I have seen kids like that, so add one more to your "unusual" kids.

Closed to reply