wimbledon is nearly over,but i thought today,why the scoring system 15,30,40

1. shavedfish profile image54
    shavedfishposted 7 years ago

wimbledon is nearly over,but i thought today,why the scoring system 15,30,40

iI sat watching the tennis today,and as i am new here and everyone trys to help each other i thought i wonder if anyone knows the answer to this query

2. Merlin Fraser profile image77
    Merlin Fraserposted 7 years ago

The game of Tennis came from the monasteries of France and the name is derived from the French word “Tenez”  (Take This) and was a very different game from today’s baseline power smashing event.

The court was exactly that a courtyard and the ball remained in play while rolling off low level roofs surrounding the court so the games were quite long affairs.

As far as scoring is concerned, because games were long play was split into quarters, with rest periods in between, thus,  15 30 and 45.  Again in French the words for 15 and 30 are shorter than 45 so 45 was abbreviated to 40....

When the score was equal for both players at 40 a call of “a’deaux”, which later became “deuce” and the game went on until one player gained two clear points over their opponent.

Why “Love ?”   Sorry to disappoint but nothing to do with the French being a romantic lot,  “l’oeuf,” or Egg looks like a zero...

working