Trying To Figure Out Scoring System:-)

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (23 posts)
  1. LdsNana-AskMormon profile image80
    LdsNana-AskMormonposted 16 years ago

Anyone -

I am simply curious and apparently I can be so on this thread... so here it goes:-)

If I have a total of TEN Hubs - what per average Hub score would they need to maintain for my overall score to average above a 95?

Anyone know the right equation for getting these results?  I figured if I broke it down to ten hubs... I could make sense of the system in some way.. LOL

Perhaps using HP scoring table in the help section - while applying something "like" this will better determine "how" our friend the "Great HP" determines our life:-)

tDMg
    LdsNana-AskMormon

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 16 years agoin reply to this

First, why do you care about the score so much?  It's an internet hub score, it doesn't mean anything.  I am just going to be straight forward with you, I think you are desiring to dominate the pages, and its a bit ill if you ask me, which then you aren't asking me are you?

Second, if you did find out how then you could manipulate the score and that isn't really fair is it?  That's called cheating.

2. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

Nana - you are a scream. Why don't you do the same as everyone else - suck it and see? big_smile

1. writewanda profile image57
      writewandaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

"Suck it and see" ??? Now who has the misplaced comment in the feed??? Mark, are you PMS ing? Because I could write a good article on that for you!

There is nothing wrong with Nana to try to find how to bring her scores up or know how things work. For me it is a self challenge. Bettering your hubs... Isn't that what most of the forum is for???

1. Inspirepub profile image72
        Inspirepubposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Bettering your Hubs is not the same thing as bettering your personal score.

Pursuing the first, yes, absolutely. Pursuing the second - that way lies madness ...

2. Mark Knowles profile image57
        Mark Knowlesposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Ahhhh - you obviously missed the several other threads based around the same question. i.e. "Why is my score lower than other people's when I am writing the truth?"

She has been told time and time again how it works and my suggestion to try things until she gets it right - "suck it and see" was perfectly good advice.

But if you feel that is a misplaced comment, well, I noticed you deleted the other comment in the other thread that was completely inappropriate, and I deleted my quote of it too - guess you missed that huh?

1. writewanda profile image57
          writewandaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Mark,
          I though I deleted your Quote. I did it on accident and what I was trying to type was MY BAD!

3. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 16 years ago

The only people who know how to work the hubber score is HubPages. They have told us that the hubber score relies on number of hubs, forum participation, commenting, joining fan clubs, how many fans you have, etc.

It's not all based on just your individual hub scores. It's based on overall participation in the site. If I had 400 hubs and never once commented on anyone hub or participated in the forum, I would have a lower score than if I just had 200 hubs and remained active throughout the site.

You really are trying to force yourself into this. Just write and be happy. Stop trying to understand every little detail.

4. Peter M. Lopez profile image71
    Peter M. Lopezposted 16 years ago

Nana, I'm curious as to why you are so curious? 

You know, when I first joined I was somewhat preoccupied with score, but since I stopped worrying and trying to make it go up, it's gone up on its own.

Besides, you have a score of 94 (as of right now, it might be higher 5 minutes from now) which is pretty good.

5. LdsNana-AskMormon profile image80
    LdsNana-AskMormonposted 16 years ago

Oh my goodness... what passionate responses here?

Oh dear... please pardon me.

tDMg
    Kathryn

6. cflynn profile image71
    cflynnposted 16 years ago

Hi all
    theres no harm in trying to work it out is there? I want to improve my scores to..I am new and love to see the numbers go up. As long as you are playing by the rules right? perhaps I will stop caring in a few months, years....???

7. gamergirl profile image85
    gamergirlposted 16 years ago

Nana,

I would say that one possible way to raise your score would be to make the titles of your hubs more readable.  Titles in all caps or as long as a full sentence turn me off from reading them, honestly.  A title should give a concentrated glimpse of what the majority of an article is about. wink

Good luck!

8. darkside profile image63
    darksideposted 16 years ago

My life isn't determined by a HubScore.

And trying to figure out how an AuthorScore is calculated by the sum of the individual HubScores would be a waste of time.

Here's what a member of HubPages staff has had to say...

I added the bold emphasis.

All that and plenty more about HubScore can be found on my hub here: http://hubpages.com/_learn/hub/Hubscore

9. Inspirepub profile image72
    Inspirepubposted 16 years ago

I will add another caution here *dusting off statistics lecturer hat*

Your personal score is a PERCENTILE score.

HubPages takes everyone who is Hubbing, and arranges them in order of "merit", based on factors like the ones Darkside has listed.

The very best one gets a score of 100.

As far as I can tell, there is only ever one person scoring 100. It shifts around between four or five people from day to day.

The next two or three get 99.

The next half a dozen get 98.

As we get more people on HubPages, there will be more people at each of the top scores, because the top fractional % group will expand from two or three people to five or six people.

The only way to get your score over 95 is to constantly do better than 95% of the people Hubbing on those things that HubPages uses to calculate the score.

This form of competitive comparison is psychologically unhealthy and I don't advise it.

As long as your score is over 75, HubPages considers you a good person.

Now that you are officially a good person, you can stop worrying about how you are performing and get on with just being!

Use your Hubs to express yourself, and forget the scores. You are already OK.

Jenny

1. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I have seen more than one person with a perfect 100 at the same time.

Just so you know! big_smile

10. Mark Knowles profile image57

And it's rather strange - considering your belief system is based entirely on hearsay and rumor - that you keep on pushing to know how things work big_smile Can't you just take it on faith ?

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/6055/stirthepotzs2.gif

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
      Maddie Ruudposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Oh, Mark.  Give it a rest.  The pot's boiling over without you stirring it. tongue

11. Mark Knowles profile image57

I can't help it big_smile big_smile

12. Mark Knowles profile image57

What I meant by "suck it and see" is - experiment. Try different things . See what works. Take the information you have and use it to your advantage. Do the same as everyone else has to do - suck it and see. That's how you learn. That's how I learned. I have been the top hubber. smile It took me months to work out how to do it.

I didn't say "suck it up"

And my life is going extremely well, thank you. I am very happy - I have a loving wife, I live in a great part of the world - the food is wonderful and the wine is cheap; and I have some very good friends around me.

How's your life?

13. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 16 years ago

Pooh. She deleted her post. Nana. It's one thing to write and share what you are interested in and knowledgeable about with others, but you insist on asking the same questions over and over again. I'm not sure I understand why you persist so much. Why you can't just write, comment, participate, and be merry... I'm not sure why you question so much.

Inspirepub- at times there are multiple hubbers with a score of 100. I've seen 3 hubbers at a time with a score of 100.

1. Inspirepub profile image72
      Inspirepubposted 16 years agoin reply to this

That's good to know - I haven't been around long enough to see it yet, obviously!

As the population grows i would expect it to happen more often.

Jenny

14. YourTouristGuide profile image61
    YourTouristGuideposted 16 years ago

Being a newbie, I don't have much wisdom to add to this conversation.  I'm actually just trying to earn some points by posting in the forum.  smile  Okay, then, I'm off to see if I can find some inappropriate content to flag!

Debi

1. Peter M. Lopez profile image71
      Peter M. Lopezposted 16 years agoin reply to this

That should take about 9 seconds.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)