jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Should one learn martial arts? Why?

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image63
    Ultimate Hubberposted 7 years ago

Should one learn martial arts? Why?

2. Nick B profile image80
    Nick Bposted 7 years ago

I think you should only learn martial arts if you're really serious about it as they are not just a case of learning how to beat people up.

There's a whole philosophy that goes along with them, which makes them as much headology as fitness and knowing the moves.

Should you choose to learn, you would find them not only an excellent way to keep fit, but you would also learn more about yourself and others in doing so.

3. Lee Phelan profile image56
    Lee Phelanposted 7 years ago

There are such a wide range of martial art schools now, I think anyone can find a school perfect for them. Everything from cardio kick boxing, to sport karate, MMA (in some states), kung fu, and traditional arts such as Aikido or sword drawing.

Each of these arts has a different energy and state of mind. Depending on what one wishes to get out of a particular style should dictate what art to take up.

Of course, people who go to a dojo looking to beat people up should not get involved in martial arts. Most any experienced Sensei will recognize this and will turn them away.

Great question, I think I know the topic of my next hub!

4. samman profile image60
    sammanposted 7 years ago

I think everybody should learn martial arts. Not to beat anybody but for self defence. Other than that good training will keep one healthy and fit.

5. wademcmaster profile image73
    wademcmasterposted 7 years ago

I think you should definitely try martial arts.  Its not for everyone, and it also depends on which art, I personally just tried it, and kept going, for 6 years now studying 3 martial arts, my base and main art being muay thai.  It's great for developing confidence and understanding physical confrotnation!

working