jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

Why do football players put the black marks under their eyes?

1. Zaiden Jace profile image68
    Zaiden Jaceposted 7 years ago

Why do football players put the black marks under their eyes?

2. Abecedarian profile image79
    Abecedarianposted 7 years ago

For the glare from the sun or the lights depending on if they are playing outside or in a dome. At least thats what my son said when he played football a few years back.

3. Alternative Prime profile image73
    Alternative Primeposted 7 years ago

So the bright sunlight is directed toward the upper cheeks rather than into the eyes. Baseball Players use it as well to catch mainly fly balls.

4. kylekandrew profile image57
    kylekandrewposted 7 years ago

it originally was to help block the glare, but some players have taken it to a new level and use it almost as intimidation and war paint.  Check out the image of Mississippi State lineman
    Addison Lawrence and tell me that is just to help block out the lights more...I don't think so.

5. Petstrel profile image62
    Petstrelposted 7 years ago

I think this is because they want to look a bit more intimidating.

6. Knowledge>Power profile image80
    Knowledge>Powerposted 7 years ago

to accentuate their cheek bones, football players love looking good, which is why they wear tights and shoulder pads...also the number is their hotness ranking, not just a favorite number

7. profile image0
    erikjohnsonposted 6 years ago

Well....It is for the glare.  But many us it just to look tough.

8. Barbsbitsnpieces profile image82
    Barbsbitsnpiecesposted 6 years ago

@Zaiden Jace...They do it to negate the sun's glare, or nighttime game lights glare. Baseball players can wear sunglasses. The nature of their game makes it impossible for football players to use sunglasses.

9. profile image47
    Tcsc13posted 6 years ago

It is used to block the sun's glare on their eyes if their outside and it blocks the glare from the lights in the statium if their playing inside. There are also players who do some of that for looks. They may make symbols under their eyes too to show off.

10. samtenabray profile image61
    samtenabrayposted 6 years ago

Glare from the sun, help's them see the ball better on those sunny days!

11. tswilson profile image60
    tswilsonposted 6 years ago

It's to block out the sun.  I used it way back in high school, but I didn't find that it made too much of a difference.  I mostly just kept noticing it was there, kind of like when you have a pimple or some dirt on your nose.  Very difficult to get off afterwards if you use the original grease-style.