jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why isn't Rugby more popular in the states?

1. NewYorkChicken profile image61
    NewYorkChickenposted 6 years ago

Why isn't Rugby more popular in the states?

Im white, born in the states, but moved to Hong Kong when I was four. I started playing rugby when I was eight and I'm simply in love with it. Now I'm curious, why is it not so popular in the states? Its fast paced action, people get hurt, it seems like its just what America loves!

2. profile image0
    writeronlineposted 6 years ago
  3. SpiffyD profile image83
    SpiffyDposted 6 years ago

Well the irony is that American football is a derivative of rugby football. I always viewed rugby as the English (and older) version of American football. This helps to explain why it cannot become as popular. America has its version of rugby, which would be in direct competition with rugby football. It's just a question of pride and nationalism and not the quality of the sport.

For all the reasons Americans advanced about why they hate soccer, it boils down to the fact that it is not seen as American. It's also funny that rugby is more "manly" than American football, since the protective gear isn't as overdone.

4. NewYorkChicken profile image61
    NewYorkChickenposted 6 years ago

Heres a new question, I haven't talked to other people about this but I believe that Rugby is a completely untouched potential market, the man who can make rugby broadcasted in the states would have to end up being a millionaire - I believe you have to think of rugby in potential ways, America and Everyone else.

America will never care about the 6 nations, tri-nations, super rugby or other cups like the Guinness premiership. However, if you are able to gather 17 college students from each state, create teams, and slowly build the reputation of rugby in the states to a platform more like American Football currently is, eventually it'd have to catch on right?

5. scauthor1969 profile image64
    scauthor1969posted 6 years ago

I do not know why. My son and I love watching it the very few times it is actually on tv here. I agree with SpiffyD that it is just not American and, therefore, not in our cultural mindset.