jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Why has the USA never won the FIFA world cup?

1. whoisbid profile image76
    whoisbidposted 6 years ago

Why has the USA never won the FIFA world cup?

Why is it that a powerful country like the United States has never been able to prove itself to the world by winning the FIFA world cup? The USA has sent a man to the moon and that is a great achievement but why can't they win at least one world cup?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/5552180_f260.jpg

2. foggers profile image59
    foggersposted 6 years ago

Lots of great teams haven't won it either.  Take Holland for example.  The US are improving all the time as more players get experience in top European leagues and of course and the standard improves in the MLS.   You really can't expect them to win it in the near to medium term.  It's always the usual suspects that are fighting for the trophy, Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Spain, England, Italy etc etc.

3. Jonesy0311 profile image60
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

For the same reason an American will never be world Sumo champion; not enough people in the U.S. care about the sport. When I was growing up, I don't think that any school district in my area even had a soccer team. There is a much smaller talent pool to choose from in the U.S. for soccer players.

4. CyclingFitness profile image92
    CyclingFitnessposted 6 years ago

The USA is not a powerful country when it comes to Soccer and therefore they will be playing catch up for many many years. It would help if Soccer was the most popular sport in the country however in many cases it could still be considered a minority sport in comparison to many other nations.

5. DJProfessorK profile image61
    DJProfessorKposted 6 years ago

@Jonesy0311 - Actually, you're wrong about that. Akebono (Chad Rowan) was Yokozuna in the mid-late 1990's.

We just don't have a big soccer culture, that's all.

6. samtenabray profile image60
    samtenabrayposted 6 years ago

American soccer culture is only starting to grow and will develop and become stronger as time goes on, 10 or 15 years i think we will see a really strong USA squad. But first the MLS needs to become a better standard.

working