Adebayor accuses Arsenal fans

1. profile image58
    oluwalekeposted 14 years ago

In an exclusive interview with Eurosport, the Manchester City striker claims he did "nothing" provocative when he scored against his ex-club at Eastlands, despite running the length of the pitch to celebrate in front of the away fans.

Adebayor said he merely wanted to "answer" them after hearing chants about his mother.

"There are things you can accept and some others you can't," he told Eurogoals One to One.

"I'm lucky that my mother is still alive but you have no right to attack my mother. You may insult me, say anything. I can accept everything except when you insult my mother. There are things you can accept and some others you can't," he told Eurogoals One to One.

"I'm lucky that my mother is still alive but you have no right to attack my mother. You may insult me, say anything. I can accept everything except when you insult my mother. When I heard supporters singing and insulting my mother, I couldn't accept it.

"When I scored, it was just to tell them 'You fired me from your club and I scored against you'. That was just an answer but nothing to provoke them."

Adebayor's 100-yard dash and knee slide created a storm of controversy, but he escaped with a fine and a suspended ban on the grounds of "extreme provocation".

However, he received a three-match ban for violent and improper conduct after stamping on former team-mate Robin van Persie's face in the same game. He is set to make his return this evening as City travel to face Aston Villa.

The Togolese striker repeated his insistence he apologised to Van Persie - which the Dutchman disputes - and accused the media of blowing the story out of proportion.

He said: "I saw Robin, I saw him afterwards and I apologised. I think that these kinds of things happen on a football pitch. These are the kind of kicks that I often receive. I won't say I never bleed on the pitch. I have often bled on the pitch. After all, we are in England.

"People are saying things and they made it the 'story of the year'. That's the thing which affected me the most. Now the suspension is over, I can come back on the pitch and that's fine."

Adebayor's acrimonious £25 million transfer from Arsenal to Manchester City was the culmination of a souring in his relationship with the Gunners.

Fans were upset when he publicly speculated about a move to Milan or Barcelona in 2008, and accused him of not giving 100 per cent in his final season.There are things you can accept and some others you can't," he told Eurogoals One to One.

"I'm lucky that my mother is still alive but you have no right to attack my mother. You may insult me, say anything. I can accept everything except when you insult my mother. When I heard supporters singing and insulting my mother, I couldn't accept it.

"When I scored, it was just to tell them 'You fired me from your club and I scored against you'. That was just an answer but nothing to provoke them."

Adebayor's 100-yard dash and knee slide created a storm of controversy, but he escaped with a fine and a suspended ban on the grounds of "extreme provocation".

However, he received a three-match ban for violent and improper conduct after stamping on former team-mate Robin van Persie's face in the same game. He is set to make his return this evening as City travel to face Aston Villa.

The Togolese striker repeated his insistence he apologised to Van Persie - which the Dutchman disputes - and accused the media of blowing the story out of proportion.

He said: "I saw Robin, I saw him afterwards and I apologised. I think that these kinds of things happen on a football pitch. These are the kind of kicks that I often receive. I won't say I never bleed on the pitch. I have often bled on the pitch. After all, we are in England.

"People are saying things and they made it the 'story of the year'. That's the thing which affected me the most. Now the suspension is over, I can come back on the pitch and that's fine."

Adebayor's acrimonious £25 million transfer from Arsenal to Manchester City was the culmination of a souring in his relationship with the Gunners.

Fans were upset when he publicly speculated about a move to Milan or Barcelona in 2008, and accused him of not giving 100 per cent in his final season.

Yet the 25-year-old insists he he wanted to stay at the Emirates and was "forced out" by manager Arsene Wenger.

"People have to know that it's not me who wanted to leave for money but Arsenal who forced me to leave. It's Arsenal who dismissed me from the club.

"I wanted to stay but the coach made me understand that wasn't the best choice, he said that the best for me was to leave the club because supporters didn't forget what happened during summer 2008, so I was forced to leave.

"I had an offer from Manchester City, a team with ambition, that wanted to break into the Big Four.

"We know perfectly well it will be very difficult but at that time they had already signed Gareth Barry, Roque Santa Cruz and Carlos Tevez."

2. stuart747 profile image60
    stuart747posted 14 years ago

As a skilled professional footballer he should expect the verbal abuse from the opponents fans, i like to see footballers play with passion and this game meant a lot to him however he should act professionaly, his actions could have cause a riot players, stewards and fans could have got injured, I belive the FA should disipline him

3. Fresh_Flower profile image60
    Fresh_Flowerposted 14 years ago

If you run across to the other side of the field to celebrate in front of your ex fans, like Adebayor did, your goal is obviously to provoke. He must be clearly insane and should be banned. It was also very bad when he deliberately kicked van Persie in the face...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)