jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Would you buy a bike from ebay?

1. Moon Daisy profile image83
    Moon Daisyposted 6 years ago

Would you buy a bike from ebay?

I've seen some good one which are quite reasonably priced, and I am tempted.  But I worry about buying things without seeing them first.  What if it turns out to be nothing like the photo?  What if the wheel falls off as soon as I get it??

Am I worrying too much?  Are there mechanisms in place to protect me against disreputable sellers?  (I am new to ebay...)

2. Moon Daisy profile image83
    Moon Daisyposted 6 years ago

(Oops, I meant to say good "ones", not good one..)

3. jafruminc profile image59
    jafrumincposted 6 years ago

I say NO in buying bike in ebay. It's true you really have t see it for yourself before you buy it even ebay has been popular about the quality of items they have. I think you should talk to experts or professionals on how and where to buy bike so you won't spending your money for nothing. I hope I helped you.

4. Doc Wordinger profile image96
    Doc Wordingerposted 6 years ago

I think it depends on how much you know about bike mechanics. If you are confident that you can tweak and customise the bike to your own specifications then buying second-hand on ebay is a great way to purchase a bike that suits your budget. You should speak to the seller before you buy so that you're aware of any weaknesses or defects in advance.

If you plan to cycle regularly, especially over long distances, then you need a bike that you're comfortable with. If your knowledge of bikes is limited then it's probably better to spend extra money on a new bike that you can try before you buy.

5. kittyjj profile image70
    kittyjjposted 6 years ago

I would say "no" unless the bike is the exact style/model I've tried out at a store but with lower cost.  Also I don't like to deal with the headache on returning it if something goes wrong.

6. profile image54
    wim99posted 6 years ago

It's a personal choice, with the additional risk factor figured in. I agree that unless your a certified bike mechanic, it's a safer route to purchase at a local bike store because of reliability issues. Ebay has some fraud protection built in at the dispute resolution center, but work out serious questions with the seller before you make any purchases. If you feel the risk factor has diminished and it's within your budget, make your decision about your purchase.

7. MojoDawg profile image61
    MojoDawgposted 6 years ago

I have bought and sold a large number of items on eBay, and a bike would be on my no go list. Maintenance and usability, after you buy it then what?

working