jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Which is the best martial art form for self defence?

1. rajan jolly profile image88
    rajan jollyposted 5 years ago

Which is the best martial art form for self defence?

2. MrMaranatha profile image81
    MrMaranathaposted 5 years ago

Defense is the operative word.

A half decent defense can defeat Black Belts of much greater speed and agility.

Best form? Crazy and Ruthless...  You only have one shot if your adversary is trained.. so you need to make it count. 

A good defense forces your attacker to make the first move and commit themselves...  at that point a defense can turn deadly... Not by striking out.. but by reactions of Grabbing, pulling and twisting limbs in directions they were not designed for...  Most of the martial arts teach this to one degree or another... I believe that some of the best forms come from various versions of what is commonly known as Hapkido...  which is a Korean derivative of Japanese Aiki-Jujutsu...  The Korean forms also have some kicks and strikes that the pure Aiki-Jujutsu does not.

1. MrMaranatha profile image81
      MrMaranathaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

He asked Specifically about a form for Self Defense. That means something that is quick to learn, easy to apply and does not endanger the learner by a long drawn out fight they are not fully prepared for... You guys are thinking of something else.

3. LordSaturn profile image58
    LordSaturnposted 5 years ago

I would say it's Krav Maga. Though I believe Brazilian Jiu Jitsu has to be a top martial art for Self Defense as well.

1. MrMaranatha profile image81
      MrMaranathaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Brazilian Jujitsu is lots of grappling and wrestling with the opponent.. Fine for ring fighting... fine if your in it for a fight.. But when you just want to defend your life and get away.. SAFELY... Better to Break bones and run.. KravMaga maybe ok

4. sharma92tushar profile image76
    sharma92tusharposted 5 years ago

I'll say that it's Gatka to amuse you. smile

5. Tom Rubenoff profile image94
    Tom Rubenoffposted 5 years ago

I prefer obscure styles.  When you take a fighting stance that no one recognizes, it always makes the attacker think twice.  I like Kung Fu for its emphasis on flexibility and natural strength, but any style will do if you learn it well enough to allow you to be confident.  When attackers see you are unafraid, this is a very effective defense in itself.  Smile like you've just been invited to a fun game and look them in the eye.

6. Djaak profile image36
    Djaakposted 5 years ago

Personally I think it is Jeet Kune Do. I am a huge Bruce Lee fan and he was the best at making fighting simple. I read a great hub on this, maybe you should take a look, the url is: http://karthikkash.hubpages.com/hub/5-D … rtial-Arts

working