jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

What is the best martial arts program to start a child in?

1. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

What is the best martial arts program to start a child in?

I am looking to put my 8 and 6 year old boys into a program. Which type of martial arts is best for young children?

2. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

aikido is a good one.  It is more about personal growth than competitions and it is very useful.  It is mostly joint locks, throws, and pins and learning to use your opponents own energy against him.  My very slim hubby is able to throw guys 3 times his size like rag dolls it's pretty fun to watch, yet he is a very gentle spirit and you'd never know it to look at him lol.  They have a very "non-violent" stance teaching all about self-defense and not picking fights, but when necessary these guys (and gals - women do great in Aikido too) can definitely defend themselves.  Aikido is great for learning dedication and discipline, it takes time and a LOT of practice to really get good at it.  I prefer it greatly to karate because being more self focused, participants don't feel the pressure to perform as much as  in other martial arts with all the competitions.  They tend to do demos, but not competitions where one person "wins" over another etc.  It's nice.

3. endless sea profile image74
    endless seaposted 5 years ago

As a martial artist I think the best form suited is which ever can capitalize your strengths and can cover your weaknesses, as if you have strong legs you can go with Tae-Kuan-Do, this form uses legs more than your arms, even a person with weaker arms can kick hard and full and could match with any other person. If you have strong hands you can go for boxing, footwork is essential but  a weaker foot can still be covered.. where as for strong built you can choose wrestling, or if you are quick you can go for wushu and brazillian jijutsu.. so its all up to the nature of a person, but if the boys are willing to choose a particular form or if they are interested for some specific ones you can opt that.

I am from muay-thai, judo and tae-kuan-do, I opted them cause they helped every where to keep you fit and running, and standing victorious in a street fight.!!!! so observe and you might just get a hint.

1. REDFIST profile image60
      REDFISTposted 5 years agoin reply to this

for a child then it has to be judo but i am a mix martial artist zo i do a litle bit of efrithing  lets becous wen i join the UFC i hafe to be reddy afry thing must be complet mi striking kicking submisions  locks effry thing but for a child is judo

2. endless sea profile image74
      endless seaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Depends on how child handles, if child has quick and powerful hitting you might also wanna work on muay thai!!

3. REDFIST profile image60
      REDFISTposted 5 years agoin reply to this

yea thats good as well but you hafe to make sure that your breahing is good and your anger controle

4. endless sea profile image74
      endless seaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

yea!! you have to train for it well!!

working