Do tennis strings deteriorate if left unused on a racket for a long period of ti

1. mikgio profile image77
    mikgioposted 5 years ago

Do tennis strings deteriorate if left unused on a racket for a long period of time?

I have racket that hasn't been used for a few years, and wondered if anybody knew whether it would definitely need to be restrung?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6857316_f260.jpg

2. MickiS profile image83
    MickiSposted 5 years ago

"Detieorate" is not quite the right word, but, yes, if you have not used your racquet for a few years, you will need to re-string it before you play. Otherwise, the strings will feel dead.

Over time, strings lose their resiliency: their ability to spring back into position while hitting a ball. There are several things that cause the loss of resiliency: hitting balls, the bending of the frame during play, the expanding/contracting of your frame and strings through warmer and colder days etc.

As such, you are supposed to re-string a racquet that you are using regularly as many times a year as you play in a week. I play 5-6 days per week, so I re-string about 5 times per year.

In your case, your strings will have lost their resiliency because for several years they have been held at a tension of 50-60 lbs. That, alone, will deaden the strings.

1. mikgio profile image77
      mikgioposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yeah I thought I would have to get my rackets restrung, thanks for the help!! smile

working