jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why do boxers even the great ones never know when too quit?

1. SIJO1 profile image72
    SIJO1posted 5 years ago

Why do boxers even the great ones never know when too quit?

2. whonunuwho profile image79
    whonunuwhoposted 5 years ago

They are most often exploited by others in seeking a name for themselves and to make money off their man. The boxers are caught in a web of conceit, be it false or real, and the magnetic thoughts of notoriety and monetary rewards themselves. often they are brain damaged or injured in the years of abuse at the pounding of fists and extreme physical stresses. I feel a sadness for those who have fallen into these traps and wish that there were other ways in which they could have been noteworthy or famous in their lives, instead of sacrificing their lives so that some could be entertained.

3. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image84
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 5 years ago

It's mostly about the money. $30 million for one fight is tough to pass up. Floyd Mayweather Jr. is the latest great fighter to face the issue of when to hang the gloves up and forget about all that money. He made more than $30 million from his last fight. He is 35 years old. A fight between him and Manny Pacquino would make the most money of any fight ever, so they say. Also, Floyd is undefeated. We don't see many boxing greats who retire undefeated. Few and far between. So what does Floyd do? Take some more huge paydays and risk losing and being hurt, or stop while he is still healthy and rich enough? I'm betting he'll keep fighting.

4. dieter dust profile image60
    dieter dustposted 5 years ago

Maybe, it could also be something to do with the transition into normal life. This is a phenomena that can effect many sports personalities not just boxers. Some have worked their whole lives to become successful, many have no real world experience beyond the ring and when they eventually retire, this becomes apparent. Perhaps the ring is the only place they feel comfortable and the barometer by which they measure their self worth.

I agree that some are also exploited or driven back into bouts because of financial mismanagement.