jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

What are some good tips for riding your bicycle across the country?

1. Sonneborn profile image59
    Sonnebornposted 5 years ago

What are some good tips for riding your bicycle across the country?

I have been training to ride my bicycle across the country next spring and I was wondering if anyone has any helpful hints or advice that they could give me because I'm kind of new at this whole thing.  Really all I have at this point is a bike and a helmet.  So advice on anything else would be wonderful...how should I train? what else should I buy? What route should I take?.... things like that.

2. JP993 profile image91
    JP993posted 5 years ago

I'd say invest in super comfy saddle. As far as trainging goes I'd say you need to get out on your bike and ride and ride. Maybe join a cycling forum see if you can go out with a group that have experience. This is will test you and improve you.

Good luck!

3. Dontei profile image62
    Donteiposted 5 years ago

I would say its very important to consider the type of bicycle you are planning on riding across the country.  The importance of the bike you ride is impertinent. If you have the budget for it or even if it would stretch things for you I would recommend buying a touring bike, these bikes start off around the 1000$ mark and go up from there.  If you cant afford such a bike then there are actually guides on the internet on things you can do to modify both road and country bikes into tour bike like cycles.  You need low gearing, like around 18-25 inches in the back end, this is very important. There also a bunch of other things as well that will really make a difference. I suggest this site -http://www.biketouring.net/rides/xcountry/faq2.html.

As far as training go's it depends on were your at as far as fitness right now and what you need to do to get prepared from that point. For the purposes of this answer I will assume your a beginner at this and say that you need to be able to ride 55+ miles with no problem on a day to day basis. Not just over pavement either, but different types of terrain.  I hope this gave you some helpful info.

1. Sonneborn profile image59
      Sonnebornposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes this was very helpful thank you!

working