jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (17 posts)

What's the first month of the year you can go in the water, and where do you liv

1. lisasuniquevoice profile image75
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 4 years ago

What's the first month of the year you can go in the water, and where do you live?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7985671_f260.jpg

2. relawshe profile image72
    relawsheposted 4 years ago

I've lived in Seattle for about 1.5 years, and the northern water is so cold here that you really can't swim until about July or August without a wetsuit.  Even then, the water is really cold! 
    But I was born and raised in Cincinnati, Ohio and Gatlinburg, Tennessee, and since those places are in the Midwest and South and it's so hot and humid there, you can swim there as early as April or May.  Eastern TN's water is icy cold too because it's mountain water, but it's so hot in summers that it's a welcome reprieve.

lisasuniquevoiceposted 4 years agoin reply to this

relawshe,
      I knew it rained in Seattle, but I didn't think you had to swim with a wetsuit until July or August. I do like the idea of the icy mountain water in TN during all of those days of incredible heat in the summer though.
      Thanks,
      Lisa

3. Escobana profile image76
    Escobanaposted 4 years ago

April is a good month to start, up until October.

I don't like swimming that much but here in Valencia, Spain the climate is excellent and we enjoy 300 days of sun every year.

I went to the beach last week, enjoying free time, reading my book and loving the warm sun on a windy day.

Escobana,
      You get 300 days of sun out of 365. I want to move to Spain.
      Thanks,
      Lisa

4. DrMark1961 profile image100
    DrMark1961posted 4 years ago

Here in Brazil, we normally go in the water just after the stroke of midnight, New Years.
    Does that qualify as really, really early?

DrMark1961,
      Yes the stroke of midnight on New Years does qualify as early in the season for swimming. How great though.
      Enjoy your sunny, warm life in Brazil.
      Thanks,
      Lisa

5. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

We live in Montana so the water would be lake water and it is ice cold until about mid-July.  By then it is still really cold but tolerable for some (not me!).

duffsmom,
      The cold lake water there in Montana sounds like the water in our Lake Superior. It could be 95 degrees and the water feels like it's full of ice cubes.It's the coldest of the five Great Lakes.
      Thanks,
      Lisa

6. peeples profile image95
    peeplesposted 4 years ago

I'm in the south eastern part of the USA and we were swimming in a pool (heated only by sun) last month. The end of this month should be a good time to start getting in the lake.

peeples,
      I have three brothers in North Carolina and they have warmer winters and the hot season starts early. The only thing they say they had to get used to was the humidity.
      Thank you,
      Lisa

7. Blond Logic profile image96
    Blond Logicposted 4 years ago

Here in Brazil, any time and all the time. It is a constant 86 degrees where I live.

Blond Logic,
      I would have to get used to 86 degrees if it was that hot everyday. I would be in the water all of the time. The good thing for you is that you don't have to put up with the ice and snow like we do in Michigan.
      Thank you,
      Lisa

8. Sherry Hewins profile image95
    Sherry Hewinsposted 4 years ago

I live in the Sierra Foothills of northern California. We swim in the Yuba River, usually in late June. Before that, not only is it really cold, but the river is high and fast from the melting snow.

Sherry Hewins,
      I guess everyone in CA isn't hot all of the time. I have relatives in San Francisco and they say it's about 60 most of the time. Enjoy the water when you do get a chance to go in.
      Thanks,
      Lisa

9. Borsia profile image44
    Borsiaposted 4 years ago

I live in the tropics, Philippines, so you can swim pretty much at any time.
    Rivers and the ocean may be too fast / turbid during the rains and just after but there is no problem with temperature.
    We often go for walks during the Monsoons without anything like rain suits or umbrellas, just wear as little as possible and realize that you can only get so wet.
    Lightning can be a concern at times as we get some incredibly intense electrical storms with hundreds of strikes in minutes. I've seen 8 bolts crossing the sky at the same time in different directions and I've seen numerous times when there is no way to count.

Borsia,
      It's nice that you can go in the water whenever you want. The Monsoons do sound wild though. I like the idea of walking in the warm rain and just getting wet for the sake of getting wet.
      Enjoy the tropics,
      Lisa

working