jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What can you say about the World Cup?

1. dailytop10 profile image91
    dailytop10posted 3 years ago

What can you say about the World Cup?

I'm not an avid fan of football but I don't have any problem  about watching a good game while drinking some cold beer. My only issue about the current World Cup, is the host, Brazil. I did some research and found out that their government is spending way too much money for this event which should have been better spent on projects to help their people stand up against poverty. I think the committee should include financial readiness as a major criteria in choosing a country to this luxurious sports event. What are your thoughts about this?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/9040447_f260.jpg

2. Hikapo profile image84
    Hikapoposted 3 years ago

The World Cup will bring in good revenue for the country, but neglecting the citizens caused them to rebel. That spoils their reputation and hurts their economy.

The government do what it pleases.

I do agree with you they should use financial readiness as a factor.

3. DrMark1961 profile image99
    DrMark1961posted 3 years ago

In Brasil, football is the opiate of the masses, and having that event here makes the whole country proud. The money that the government spent on building stadiums provided a lot of jobs, and even in small towns (like where I live) there is an effect since many of the masons and other construction workers went to work in the bigger cities. Those that remained are getting better wages from those of us who still want to build.
    So the World Cup is fighting poverty, and not just for those who own hotels/tourist attractions.
    Should the cup be played in another European country that has money to spend on stadiums? Not in my opinion. The World Cup is just about a European cup anyway, with almost every European country represented (Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, England, Germany, Greece. Croatia).
    The world does not need another European cup.

4. DDE profile image25
    DDEposted 3 years ago

I enjoyed watching a few matches and have seen many surprising results.

5. chef-de-jour profile image97
    chef-de-jourposted 3 years ago

I was a little bit shocked to see Brazilian people protesting against the World Cup having watched their team over many years and knowing how crazy that country is about futebol, the beautiful game.
    I guess Brazil is becoming more affluent - despite the abject poverty for many millions - having now a middle class who want to protest politically. That's understandable but still a bit puzzling.
    The World Cup is all about football and publicity. The football is often great and democratic (believe it or not football is still the most democratic of sports) and the publicity for Brazil will bring in financial rewards for years to come.

The idea is that, yes, the country hosting the WC spends billions on new infrastructure but makes some of that money back in ticket sales, business deals and tourism.

I'd change the WC if I had power over FIFA. I'd want a charity to be formed which would directly profit from the tournament and would be able to put money back into local communities.

The WC isn't perfect but it's still the cleanest major sporting occasion - hardly any drugs involved, no known corruption and some great performances from the smaller countries.

I would change FIFA!! It needs drastic reform, starting immediately after the WC.

working