jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

Why are Americans obsessed with Football?

1. shuck72 profile image83
    shuck72posted 3 years ago

Why are Americans obsessed with Football?

Baseball is called the National sport but in reality it appears to be football that most Americans care about.  What is is about football that fits our national personality so well? The violence, toughness, excitement, importance of bigger, faster stronger players?  Or something else?

2. PhoenixV profile image79
    PhoenixVposted 3 years ago

I think it might have a little to do with being a popularized or a heavily supported sport during the formative years in school, such as middle school, jr high school and high school, where it becomes ingrained.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image100
    FatFreddysCatposted 3 years ago

I'm an American and I have no interest in football whatsoever.

4. danicole profile image80
    danicoleposted 3 years ago

I don't get it myself. Perhaps because its soo much more aggressive and violent then baseball, basketball and a lot of other sports. Probably very similar to Gladiator games in Rome. The adrenaline rush, the fact you get to eat a lot wings and drink beer, its very socializing!!! Btw baseball is kinda boring and not that exciting compared to Football.

5. connorj profile image75
    connorjposted 3 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/11887588_f260.jpg

In the same train of thought, I would ask why are Canadians (both genders really) obsessed with hockey; thus, one may surmise that it is indeed instilled into us in our formative years (secondary school years if you will) quite significantly and it carries through for many years especially if it is continuously reinforced, "engrainment" occurs. This is why we must control the secondary curricula and not allow enemies of our ways to infiltrate...

6. bethperry profile image93
    bethperryposted 3 years ago

I don't get it at all. I think football is boring and I have little interest in the overpaid "superstars" among the players. It is also a game that requires little in the way of mental prowess. If America is obsessed with it, then I must not be true red-white-and-blue myself. Give me a sport where mental strategy is just as important -or more important!- than brawn.

7. The Examiner-1 profile image74
    The Examiner-1posted 3 years ago

I repeat what FatFreddy said. I have no interest in it and I not happy when TV shows or music shows are 'blocked' because of football games. They should stay on their own channels/stations and not play games on others.

8. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

I can only answer for myself. I like football because it's more exciting. Unless there's a time out or it's halftime, there's always something happening. Baseball is a bunch of guys standing around most of the time. There's more spitting, scratching, and goofing around than there is action on the field.

1. danicole profile image80
      danicoleposted 3 years agoin reply to this

That is soo true,and the baseball commentators are so boring with their monotone voices!!!

working