jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

For those who understand physics, Why don't skateboards succumb to gravity duri

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image96
    DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years ago

For those who understand physics,
    Why don't skateboards succumb to gravity during "air tricks?"

Not all such tricks involve the rider grabbing the board.  Why does it not fall away from their feet?

2. SpaceShanty profile image95
    SpaceShantyposted 3 years ago

I guess the rider puts force on one end of the board 'flipping' it upwards, as they are both moving at the same speed the board stays 'fixed' to their feet.  Or maybe it is just done with mirrors!

3. Bob Bamberg profile image96
    Bob Bambergposted 3 years ago

I'm not sure if "momentum" is the scientific term for the force that holds it to the foot, Lizzy, but it does eventually succumb to gravity.  Don't we all!

4. M. T. Dremer profile image96
    M. T. Dremerposted 3 years ago

I'm going to agree with Bob on this one. The momentum of the board keeps it heading in the same trajectory as the skater. It generally doesn't last very long, considering the difference of weight and air resistance between the two of them, but it's enough for them to release the board and expect it to still be below them when they land. The more familiar the skater is with the tricks, the easier it is to predict where the board will be. Similar to how a juggler instinctually learns how long a ball will be in the air before he has to catch it again.

5. The Examiner-1 profile image75
    The Examiner-1posted 3 years ago

They do, the 'air force gravity' pulls them forward. As soon as this stops the regular gravity pulls them down again.

Closed to reply