jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Tickets to the Olympics in Brazil are not selling. What are your thoughts?

1. RJ Schwartz profile image93
    RJ Schwartzposted 23 months ago

Tickets to the Olympics in Brazil are not selling. What are your thoughts?

Less than half are sold. The country is in the midst of a political upheaval and lawmakers are currently considering a request to impeach President Dilma Rousseff. The country's economy is also collapsing, suffering the worst recession in 25 years. And there's concern that Brazil won't be able to attract tourists to the games over fears about high crime rates and terrorism.
    Athletes and health experts have raised concerns about the mosquito-borne Zika virus.

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image29
    bradmasterOCcalposted 23 months ago

It sounds like you already answered the ?. Anyone of those situations would be a major deterrent, but having all of them has to give you chills about even thinking about Rio.

Those people that bought the tickets are really brave souls.
    adios Rio...

1. RJ Schwartz profile image93
      RJ Schwartzposted 23 months agoin reply to this

I guess maybe I gave too much away....

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image29
      bradmasterOCcalposted 23 months agoin reply to this

You gave away the best answer. Too bad you can't select yourself. lol

3. RJ Schwartz profile image93
      RJ Schwartzposted 23 months agoin reply to this

I heard the Brazilian gov't was goin to buy them up and fill the stands with school kids

4. bradmasterOCcal profile image29
      bradmasterOCcalposted 23 months agoin reply to this

These must be real tough kids.

3. chef-de-jour profile image98
    chef-de-jourposted 23 months ago

Many sports fans are waiting for the turmoil in Brazil to end - political,social - before committing. The other issues to consider - the ongoing doping scandal within sport and the corruption in high places; from athletics to soccer, from cycling to tennis, you have negative publicity on all fronts. This is bound to delay sales as people turn away from all kinds of sports.

I was one of the fans who turned away from track and field sports years ago when the stories of doping began to increase. Drug taking is now so complex the authorities need lawyers and medical experts to keep track of the cheats. So sad, frustrating and darn right annoying to think of cheating individuals stuffed full of chemicals trying to win a bit of extra cash. Pathetic.

The Olympics in particular used to be about PURE body and soul commitment to the cause of running faster, jumping higher and playing harder. This ideal has long since disappeared. But nowadays no one knows who is clean and who isn't! It's a farce. I welcome the call from the UK for doping to be made illegal, so that cheats can face jail if they use chemicals.

Unfortunately all these issues have come to a head at the wrong time for Brazil. The sponsors must be sweating!!

But I think Brazil as a nation will triumph in the end and hold a successful games. I hope so.

4. tsadjatko profile image68
    tsadjatkoposted 23 months ago

Like every other well intentioned mankind endeavor the Olympics has turned into a bureaucratic mess of scandals and controversies, full of corruption and ridiculous decisions.

Olympism refers to the philosophy set forth through the values and ideals stated in the Fundamental Principles of Olympism as outlined in the Olympic Charter, particularly in Principles 1, 2, 4 & 6.
    1. Olympism is a philosophy of life, exalting and combining in a balanced whole the qualities of body, will and mind. Blending sport with culture and education, Olympism seeks to create a way of life based on the joy of effort, the educational value of good example, social responsibility and respect for universal fundamental ethical principles.
    2. The goal of Olympism is to place sport at the service of the harmonious development of humankind, with a view to promoting a peaceful society concerned with the preservation of human dignity.
    4. The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practising sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play.
    6. The enjoyment of the rights and freedoms set forth in this Olympic Charter shall be secured without discrimination of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, sexual orientation, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status.

My thoughts? Brazil was a terrible decision made without any forethought or analysis of the consequences but as for the Olympics in general.

Well when you get to the point of athletic development where hundredth's, even thousandths of a sec determine the winner (I don't know, but I'll bet that's less than the the margin of error for determining a time) what is the sense in it? Is that really determining who won? It's a statistical tie in my book, but they have to have a metal winner!

The whole thing is a lesson in how far humans will go to further their respective self interests at the expense of what started as a noble endeavor meant to transcend divisions of race, religion and culture world wide.

Closed to reply