jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Any bowl game looked forward to? Any prediction? Why?

1. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 15 months ago

Any bowl game looked forward to? Any prediction? Why?

2. simplehappylife profile image85
    simplehappylifeposted 15 months ago

The Peach Bowl smile

Alabama is my team.  They are the reason I watch football, I never miss a game.  It's super fun to watch in person, but I can't always afford that (◠‿◠✿)  and of course, I think Bama will win it (although, the huskies might be a little tougher than expected in the beginning). 

In the end, I think Bama will win the whole thing by the time it is all said and done.

You?

1. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 15 months agoin reply to this

I think I will watch the same game as 'Bama is in my top three teams to follow. I watched the Sun Bowl yesterday because CBS in my neck of the woods had it scheduled. I only have basic cable. So, probably will see the Rose Bowl too.

3. Kathleen Cochran profile image82
    Kathleen Cochranposted 15 months ago

Hoping to see Alabama face Clemson for the title this year, and even though I bleed SEC usually (GEORGIA '76) I'd like to see Clemson on top this time. 

Somebody riddle me this, please?  If Jacob Eason (GEORGIA's QB) was the number 1 pick coming out of high school last year, why did he pick us when he could have gone to Alabama or his home state, Washington?  They are both in the play offs and we (GEORGIA) didn't even beat our biggest rival, GA Tech, this year?

4. alancaster149 profile image84
    alancaster149posted 15 months ago

How many across 'the Pond' know about the link between Baseball and Cricket? How many again know where the first international Baseball game was held, and where the first Cricket International. Thirdly how many know why Baseball became a national sport in the US?
    There's a book by American author(ess) Beth Hise about the relationship between Baseball and Cricket - google the name - and where it all started. The first cricket match was held in Surrey, England, in the 16th Century. A pretty basic thing then, Cricket was all about a batsman with a weirdly-shaped instrument more like a twisted baseball bat trying to fend off a bowler who aimed under-arm at a small gate in a field.
    Flash forward three hundred years to New York, a team of Americans played another from Canada in a more advanced game of cricket. Some time later a first international Baseball match was held at Wembley, Middlesex, between England and the US. Cricket was played in the US up until the Civil War, when due to the nature of the cricket ground needed Baseball became more popular with Americans. Cricket's still played in the US, mostly east and west coast, English expats and US players alike. Stephen Stills, of CSN&Y fame, arrived at the Lord's (Cricket) Museum a few years ago during a tea break in a match. Cricket has spread across the Continent to unlikely places such as the Netherlands (some of the best Continental players), France, Germany and Austria - a Sri Lankan hotel worker got them hooked at a place called Velden-am-Woerthersee, I met him once - as well as Corfu off Greece, where Prince Philip was born over 90 years ago.
    My own county team is Yorkshire, knocked off the top spot by Middlesex at the end of the 2016 season - we'll get it back. First Class Cricket Internationals are played between teams from Australia, Bangladesh, India, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Africa and Sri Lanka and England (which includes players from Glamorgan and Monmouthshire in South Wales). Cricket took time to reach Yorkshire early in the 19th Century, and Durham only put together a team for the county championships in the 20th. Some counties never took to it as a whole, like Devon, Cornwall, Cumbria, Norfolk, Northumberland and Rutland. We have two divisions according to skill level and win rates (like association football, what in the US is called 'Soccer').   
    Get the Beth Hise book from the Lord's bookshop, google it and see for yourself (I don't get commission, I was a museum steward).

working