jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

George Steinbrenner, Owner of the New York Yankees, Dead at 80

1. Flightkeeper profile image72
    Flightkeeperposted 7 years ago

He died of a heart attack. He has been the driving force of the Yankees for so many years.  Larger than life and he always tells you what he thinks. For anyone who follows baseball this is a big shock. He was born on the 4th of July in Ohio. He made some of the most expensive purchases in baseball history and offered lucrative contracts and changed a struggling team with a great history, to become dynamic once again

Rest in peace George.

2. rebekahELLE profile image88
    rebekahELLEposted 7 years ago

he will be missed greatly. a very charitable man. a legend for sure in baseball history. may he RIP.

1. infomanic profile image62
      infomanicposted 7 years ago in reply to this

rip George

1. infomanic profile image62
        infomanicposted 7 years ago in reply to this

it's sad bob shepard just died to

3. rebekahELLE profile image88
    rebekahELLEposted 7 years ago

there is a special tribute section to him in our sunday paper if anyone wants to take a look. I found out he is laid to rest north of Tampa, within minutes of where I live. It is a very, peaceful, beautiful location and was kept well guarded from the press until after the small ceremony.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/article1109345.ece

if there are any collectors out there, you can order a print of the special section. I can send my copy if someone wants it, just send me a mail from HP.

I don't know if there will ever be another Steinbrenner. He gave so much to baseball, his organization and to this area.

4. profile image0
    Michael E. Hortonposted 7 years ago

Love them Yankees.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

I remember the days when he kept firing Billy Martin smile

PS. The Yankees are my favorite baseball team

6. Jim Hunter profile image60
    Jim Hunterposted 7 years ago

"some guys can lead through real, genuine respect, but I am not that kind of leader"
    George Steinbrenner

At least he knew his limitations.

working