jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (21 posts)

Is Bill Cowher talking to the Houston Texans?

1. Me, Steve Walters profile image67
    Me, Steve Waltersposted 6 years ago

Ok...I'll help out with the rumor. In some statement I read, the former Super Bowl winning Steelers head coach stated something like: "most likely" would be the Texans. It is quite the buzz this morning in "H" town...and should only be expected that the Texans should be looking for the missing piece of the puzzle. If Bill does get the job...it will be the first time a Steeler was ever welcome here on our field...(going back to the ol' rival days against the Oilers!) It would actually be ironic...especially...if he replaced a home town boy: Gary Kubiak. Let the irony begin...Please Bob McNair!

2. rotl profile image59
    rotlposted 6 years ago

Hmm... very interesting. I think it would a great fit, especially since Cowher is known for his Steeler defenses and the Texans defense is a joke. He could bring some much needed toughness and discipline. Now that Indy is on it's way down, its a great opportunity for the Texans to make a surge with Cowher.

3. lender3212000 profile image77
    lender3212000posted 6 years ago

I sure hope so! There is so much talent on that team right now. If someone could just help shape it a little, I have to think they would be serious contenders.

4. Michael Willis profile image78
    Michael Willisposted 6 years ago

I keep reading about Jacksonville with Bill Cowher. The Texans definitely need a head Coach that will address the defense.

5. prettydarkhorse profile image64
    prettydarkhorseposted 6 years ago

Others said he might be with the Panthers as he is from there. And Fisher of the Titans will be the head coach of the Texans?

1. Me, Steve Walters profile image67
      Me, Steve Waltersposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Fisher...come back to Houston....? hhhhmmm...I think that's a long shot. He has a good rapport in most folks mind with his tenure and some accomplishments with the Titans-once Oilers. But that would fall under the heading of "been there-done that". Besides...he ain't wearing a Super Bowl ring...and it is going to take a winner ...to break this Houston-find a way to lose-mentality!

6. LakeShow T profile image77
    LakeShow Tposted 6 years ago

Tonight after the Sunday night football game they were talking about him taking over for Tom Coughlin  on the Giants when they don't bring him back. I think it makes sense.

7. jobister profile image60
    jobisterposted 6 years ago

I think Bill Cowher might be a good fit for the Texans, compared to the Giants. Texans are still a young team with a few games not going their way this year. Texans need a coach like Cowher to begin the rebuilding process.

8. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image90
    EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 6 years ago

First of all, I don't think Bill Cowher is the coach everyone thinks he is. He benefited a lot from a team that was loaded with talent and there were plenty of years when the Steelers underachieved, in spite of that.

And Coughlin's reign is a perfect example that a coach needs to have more than a reputation as an authoritarian to make things happen consistently in New York.

9. I am DB Cooper profile image73
    I am DB Cooperposted 6 years ago

Cowher will go to New York, if for no other reason than the fact that it's where the spotlight is. Tom Coughlin is not very popular in New York, and the general consensus among Giants fans I know is that even when they win it's in spite of Coughlin, not because of him. If the Giants lose to the Packers next week, Coughlin will be the fired at the end of the season. Cowher will be the Giants head coach a short time later.

10. rotl profile image59
    rotlposted 6 years ago

I thought it was classless of Cowher to reveal the top three jobs he wants. All three have head coaches right now. Pretty sad, I thought he was classier than that.

1. LakeShow T profile image77
      LakeShow Tposted 6 years agoin reply to this

That same thought ran through my mind as well.

1. rotl profile image59
        rotlposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Speaking of classless head coaches, how about Tom Coughlin throwing his punter under the bus after the Giants collapse, like the punter is the one who gave up 21 points in the 4th quarter!

11. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 6 years ago

Seems like a lot of head coaching jobs could be open. Dallas and 49ers come to mind.

1. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image90
      EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It would be interesting to see what would happen with Singeltary if the 49ers managed to get into the playoffs at 7-9. Not exactly a stellar performance as coach, but still a playoff team.

1. LakeShow T profile image77
        LakeShow Tposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I'm pretty certain he would retain his job if they made the playoffs. Most expected them to win that weak NFC West, but beyond that the expectations were not too high.  He is a good coach, and I don't think the 49ers would want to deal with the bad P.R. if they fired him, only to hire a white coach to replace him.

1. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image90

Barring a really bad playoff exit, that probably will be the case, but everyone I know and/or read expected them to take a couple steps forward this year. Even if they manage to back into the playoffs by default, they took a big step back.

2. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image90

I thought for a minute Garrett was going to manage to hold onto that job, but that ugly loss to the Cards pretty much seals his fate.

12. wavegirl22 profile image44
    wavegirl22posted 6 years ago

and i was thinking Parcells was coming back to NY. ..

well, a girl can dream cant she?

1. jobister profile image60
      jobisterposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I think Parcells is past his prime. He should stick with being retired.

13. Kangaroo_Jase profile image81
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 6 years ago

Nothing should be surprising when it comes to football. We had one of our own head coaches (Mark Thompson) of one of our teams (Geelong) in the Australian Football League leave a club as head coach and pick up a assistant coaches role........at his former club at Essendon. There was much controversy over this, as Mark had formerly stated he was not looking at going back to Essendon, but did exactly that.

In regards to American football with the OP's statement, it just seems that the worst kept rumors tend to be rather true as an outcome ..... in the world of football.

I shall try and keep an eye on this and see if Cowher ends up at Texas (hint hint, post it here if it happens).

working