jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

Scott Parker has been named as Football Writers`Player Of The Year....

1. Donnacha C profile image72
    Donnacha Cposted 6 years ago

what do you make of that? did he deserve it? if so, why? I mean, he is a decent football player as well as he really comes across as a nice young lad. But what did he exactly do to land such an award?

1. Yassop profile image79
      Yassopposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well apparently he was an inspirational figure for West Ham this season but there's only so much a man can do for his team. To be honest I didn't watch too many of his games so I have no idea whether he deserved it or not but when I first saw the shortlist, I thought it was going to Bale but guess not. So what do you think of his award?

2. Jefsaid profile image61
      Jefsaidposted 6 years ago in reply to this

He had his best season I think.  He is a clever player that both defends well and is intelligent with the ball going forward.  He pretty much held West Ham together throughout the season and without him their fate would have been sealed long before the last couple of weeks.  He was not someone that I previously rated particularly highly but every time I saw him this season he was a stand-out player.  I think it was his consistently high level of performance coupled with his humble attitude that caught the eye of sports writers.

2. Donnacha C profile image72

the honest answer is: I don`t know what to make of this award, very strange choice. But obviously he is popular within the sports writers...now that West Ham is relegated, surely he will be bought by an EPL team...my money is on Tottenham....

1. Yassop profile image79
      Yassopposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think there's a high probability that he'd go back to Newcastle though rather than Spurs but that's just my opinion.

3. Mcken profile image59
    Mckenposted 6 years ago

I guess this decision kind of stirs up more controversy and drives up the news value? As in, almost everyone expected Bale to win, but the journalists probably think otherwise, for it is also time that a defensive minded player be recognized for his efforts.

1. Jefsaid profile image61

Bale had some outstanding performances but was not consistent throughout the season and somewhat disappeared at the end.  Parker was very effective, if not as spectacular, in every game.

4. Donnacha C profile image72

Gareth Bale has to be the season`s most overrated player! I hope Harry Redknapp was blushing last nigt while watching Messi`s brilliant preformance: what was Redknapp thinking comparing Bale to Messi earlier this season????? what a joke...

1. Jefsaid profile image61

I like Harry although not the club he manages.  But Yeah, I think he got so excited by Tottenham''s little adventure in the CL he said some silly things. Bale v Messi is not even worth discussing in terms of ability.

working