Should soccer become the United States new sport of choice on the air?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Johnathan L Groom profile image35
    Johnathan L Groomposted 12 years ago

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5219635_f248.jpg
    While it is famous worldwide, soccer is low in the ranks of favorite televised sporting events by most.  Why?  Should soccer get more American publicity?

1. I am DB Cooper profile image64
      I am DB Cooperposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Soccer has a chance to show itself off to Americans every 4 years during the World Cup, with coverage of games on multiple TV channels and also online. So far, it's been a miserable failure. The action is slow, and the dives are something American sports fans have trouble swallowing. When we see a basketball player fake an injury to get a foul call people are talking about it for weeks and the player gets taunted everywhere he goes. In soccer it seems to happen a dozen times every game. If they instituted some sort of challenge system with instant replay for dives, I think American sports fans might start taking the sport more seriously.

2. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Soccer isn't an American sport.
      Nope!

2. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

if soccer generates as much money as football,then it will become popular.smile

1. Matt in Jax profile image61
      Matt in Jaxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It does everywhere else, but it's impossible in the U.S. without the popularity and advertising level.

3. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

its way to slow and boring, however is basketball and real football stay on strike then it has a shot! Then again mma could rule the roost!

4. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 12 years ago

Lol soccer is a lot faster than american football.

To be honest though I am english and living in America, and listening to the over analysis year round would probably kill the game for me, I jsut want to watch a goame fo football, and drink my beer!

1. I am DB Cooper profile image64
      I am DB Cooperposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They play non-stop in soccer, and because of that it's generally slower. Players are jogging most of the time. American football has breaks in the action every time a player is tackled or goes out of bounds with the ball (or when a pass falls incomplete), so the players rest for 40 seconds and then all 22 players on the field go back at it at full speed.

There are few other sports where nearly everyone is going full speed on every play, which is probably why it's so popular in the United States. During the 40 seconds of downtime between plays we watch replays of the previous play, which makes it a great sport for television (and the NFL dominates all other sports in the United States in terms of TV viewers). In soccer, you might see something worthy of a replay every 5 to 10 minutes.

5. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

alot faster wow your crazy. It all has to do with what you grew up playing and watching to how you see each sport. My problem with soccer is I played until I was 14 and was told by refs I was to physical and It wasnt right for me to play any other way!! So I kind of have a grudge for it! Its still better to play then watch! Nice point d.b. to bad your asnwer is an obvious one.

6. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Most Americans would rather watch grass grow.

1. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Of course, it's more exciting to watch grass grow than it is to watch the particular sport this thread is about. lol

2. TamCor profile image81
      TamCorposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nooooo, I'd rather watch football! big_smile

Soccer, to me, is more fun to watch in person, when someone you know is playing it.  Since I get all confused, trying to figure the game out, at least I get the enjoyment of watching someone I know having a great time, lol...

7. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

Listen world.  America does not embrace soccer.  We let our children play the game but that is it.

We do not enjoy watching soccer.

Professional soccer is at the same level as the WNBA or watching paint dry.

Nothing like watching a game for hours that ends in a draw.  Boring!

we do not like soccer today.

we did not like soccer yesterday.

nothing is going to change the fact

we do not like soccer, why can't you all accept that?

smile

8. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

I like the ambiance like golf, but generally not a fan. In European cities it takes kids in the piazzas, four piles of books and a ball to play. Did like the world cup of course, the best players.

9. Matt in Jax profile image61
    Matt in Jaxposted 12 years ago

I think that it's an awesome game to play in comparison to viewing it like Optimus said. But I don't want it to sound as though I don't enjoy watching it because I do. But Reality kind of hit the nail on the head...the U.S. will  not embrace the sport. The highest ratings it will get on television would only rival arena football which is sad. Just have to hit a pub or watch on Espn 3 if I want to get my soccer fix and still live in the 'States.

10. Jonathan Janco profile image60
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

I love soccer but until we have a range of real talent in the MLS, it will take a backseat to the sports of domestic origin. That may take some time, since the five big soccer leagues in Europe generate the kind of capital that makes the NFL look like a tag sale.

11. Johnathan L Groom profile image35
    Johnathan L Groomposted 12 years ago

The sports industry is becoming more and more like one anyways...

12. Matt in Jax profile image61
    Matt in Jaxposted 12 years ago

Will the women's loss in the World Cup inspire more young girls to play or less?

Johnathan L Groomposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I believe the press did an excellent job publicizing the sportsplay, and women's soccer (for the first time ever, maybe) has a chance at becoming a sought out and watched American event!
      -johnathan-

13. Jonathan Janco profile image60
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

The World Cup will always have an American audience because many of us come from or are descendents of people who come from many of these countries that participate in it. That being said I think the women's game picks up momentum as women's sports in general are met with a greater enthusiasm.

14. Paul Kuehn profile image93
    Paul Kuehnposted 12 years ago

To me, soccer is not as exciting as basketball, football, and football because there is not that much scoring and because it isn't as physical as basketball and football.  Soccer will not become really popular in the States until it can compete with basketball and football for first high school game viewers and then for college viewers like the NCAA football does.

Johnathan L Groomposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Soccer is great, it is just under-rated!
      -johnathan-

15. kingis profile image69
    kingisposted 12 years ago

Well, NBC and Versus will take their chances by broadcasting MLS games on both of their networks beginning next year.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)