jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Why is wearing white clothes after Labor Day a fashion faux pas?

1. ComfortB profile image87
    ComfortBposted 6 years ago

Why is wearing white clothes after Labor Day a fashion faux pas?

I live in Georgia where it's ever so hooot! White clothes just seems to be the comfortable thing to wear.

2. eclecticme profile image83
    eclecticmeposted 6 years ago

The original idea of no white after Labor Day or before Easter applied to shoes. Most fashion experts attribute this to the belief that white pumps would be soiled and unpractical in the winter months. The carry over to clothes has two possible explanations. The first is to remind people that summer weight and type clothing is not sensible in colder weather, and the second theory is that the established rich wanted to enforce rules on the nouveau riche. Whatever the original reasons, these rules have become more relaxed, and they never applied to off-white, cream colors or to the winter bride.

3. profile image0
    Rosemary Banksposted 6 years ago

That was a back in the day rule now anything goes.

4. profile image55
    consentinoposted 6 years ago

I have no idea.  Not being able to wear white after labor day is crazy.  You wonder where some of these idea come from.  Let's change it and start wearing white.

5. RTalloni profile image88
    RTalloniposted 6 years ago

Initially, it was just a shoe & bag thing.  Now, some do frown on anything white between Labor Day and Easter.  There is an answer--move to Florida.  White goes year round there.  I grew up that way, and now that I am in the frigid Carolinas I have had to learn the rule.  However, today I wore a white cotton top with a denim skirt while running my errands.  In my book, comfort rules and I'm not giving this outfit up for any season.  smile

6. profile image0
    The Fastionistaposted 6 years ago

It's actually not anymore (yay!) - especially in warmer climates, white after Labor Day is fine. When it's cooler, it's true that the material and cut should match the season (so, while linen is fine in warmer weather, heavier cotton or wool would be best for the winter; open-toed sandals shouldn't be worn in January, etc.) but color is wide open to play with. Hope this helps!