What is the meaning of the sideways cross necklace that everyone seems to be wea

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 62 discussions (109 posts)
  1. my_girl_sara profile image74
    my_girl_saraposted 11 years ago

What is the meaning of the sideways cross necklace that everyone seems to be wearing?

Celebrities from Selena Gomez and JLo all seem to be on this fashion trend in jewelry. Why sideways? Does it  mean something or is it just a new take on the cross?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7150764_f260.jpg

2. MAGICFIVE profile image65
    MAGICFIVEposted 11 years ago

I was wondering that, too!  I keep seeing bracelets with this sideways cross.  Maybe it's just some new "jewelry trend"?   You know, a few celebrities wear it, and suddenly, it's popping up everywhere?

1. MsQuestion profile image63
      MsQuestionposted 11 years ago

I read on some thread that the sideways cross means humanity, earth, and in between heaven and hell.  If you ask me, it's just a trend fueled by celbs, as usual.

1. SilverGaming profile image58
        SilverGamingposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yep.

2. jenniferlynn78 profile image61
      jenniferlynn78posted 11 years ago

It's a fashion trend in jewelry but also symbolizing the cross in a fashion that people will find more sexually appealing to women and on them. So the cross is made to look more like a sexy collar. It's a short chain and the cross is sideways to draw attention to the cross and the woman wearing it also by drawing attention to the neck and collar of a woman.

3. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 11 years ago

The cross as a symbol dates back to a long time period of paganism before Christ and the cross. The sideways cross with the shorter end toward the left is representative of the Cross used by Denmark on their flag. Rumor says that is the oldest national flag. Most Scandinavian countries and is referred to as the Nordic cross. The use of the sideways cross in that manner is wide spread on flags including state flags.

It is also an old math symbol. And, at one time it represented the picking up of your cross and following. No need to be upright, since the Christian has no need of being crucified as an individual or - that task according to the Bible has been completed.

There are allusions to it being an anchor hoisted on the bow indicated at full sail, in which case the direction of the cross has importance or which side the short end is on or the side that drops into the water when the anchor is set.

Satanism jumps in on the symbolism too. There was way too much to read on that. Personally for much of jewelry business it is an economical way to manufacture a clasp and use it as a marketing tool as well. A long time ago the short end slid through an oblong circle fastening a chain together becoming a link.

1. profile image52
        Maggie Pinchukposted 10 years agoin reply to this

H

2. leakeem profile image81
        leakeemposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Interesting.

3. Biomedical profile image67
        Biomedicalposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is a misleading bit of disinformation which sprung up not long ago. Equal-legged crosses are one thing. The t cross on which Jesus was crucified as blood sacrifice for repentants is unique.

4. profile image0
      CJ Sledgehammerposted 11 years ago

I don't know for sure, but I would not discount the possibility that its intended meaning is that Christianity is sideways or that the Cross of Calvary has been steamrolled.

5. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 11 years ago

Perhaps I'm being too utilitarian, but it could be to make the pendant more secure, attached from both ends instead of one.  Or it's just a fashion choice that has no deeper meaning.

1. Byonder5 profile image60
        Byonder5posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I like that: a fashion choice with no deeper meaning. Because such a fashion trend actually says something profound about shared human experience, or belonging to the human tribe. Mostly positive stuff.

2. profile image53
        srslyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I work in a jewelry store and completely agree.  This has no deep dark anti christian meaning....its securely attached to the chain and fashion forward if you follow celebrity trends.....and thats it......sorry conspiracy hunters

6. cat on a soapbox profile image94
      cat on a soapboxposted 11 years ago

I see no difference whether it's sideways or straight. I see it only as a difference in jewelry design. An upside-down cross would be another issue.

1. Arco Hess Designs profile image61
        Arco Hess Designsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Why would an upside-down cross be a different issue? It could be a symbol of loyalism to the Catholic church through St. Peter.

2. Biomedical profile image67

An upside down cross is used by Satanists. There are other groups which are secret satanic societies. They use the Satanic inverted cross. But, they tell their deceived it means something else. SOP with Satanists.

7. profile image49
      mliles1posted 11 years ago

I think originally it was just to be a fashion statement, but personally I find it offensive.  When I see a sideways cross, I think of someone who has fallen from Grace.  However, I love seeing someone wear their cross as I feel the person wearing it is just proud to be a Christian, but I don't think God intended for us to bring attention to ourselves by making them sideways or gaudy.

1. profile image0
        CJ Sledgehammerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Mliles1 shoots and scores!!!! You echoed my sentiments exactly..."A fall from grace" and trying to add sensual appeal to the cross.

2. my_girl_sara profile image74
        my_girl_saraposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nice answer. Our family does not ever wear the cross anyway. My husband says it's like us wearing an electric chair around our neck. Yuck! We show our Christain faith by our actions and words instead.

3. profile image0

Cynthia...I have never heard anyone describe the cross in such a way. I know that I am offended by the "crucifix", which portrays a dead Christ, although He lives. Is this why your husband equates the cross with an electric chair (symbol of death)?

4. my_girl_sara profile image74
        my_girl_saraposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, CJ Sledgehammer, you got it right. Yes, Christ had to die in order to be raised. We prefer other symbols of our faith like the Star of David.

5. profile image50
        Rebelliousgentposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ya know the cross wasn't even used by the first century Christians. In fact the Greek word that many bibles translate cross is the word stau-ros'. Which is rendered as an upright stake or pole.- from the imperial bible-dictionary

6. profile image0
        ViolinByCourtneyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The word stauros was the best Greek alternative for the Latin word the Romans used: crux. Recall the Romans crucified Jesus at the request of the Jews, not the Greeks. "Crux" means "cross." The NT, however, was originally in Greek.

8. laylafaith profile image57
      laylafaithposted 11 years ago

I thing cross is a sign of our religion and we do not use it like this.. basically some one big celebrity use the cross like this and then people think this is a new fashion but this is not a fashion....

1. Chris Qu profile image76
        Chris Quposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Context is everything. In many places or industries a cross is frequently used as a fashion statement. It happens frequently in Japanese media, particularly in music and animation. The whole world is not Judeo-Christian; this is important to realize.

9. profile image0
      Lybrahposted 11 years ago

I think it looks funny sideways.  As long as it is not upside down, I do not have a problem with it.

1. profile image0

Yes...it does look rather peculiar sideways. This leads me to believe it is meant for a purpose or has a specific meaning.

2. profile image53
        abt79posted 10 years agoin reply to this

That would make sense.

3. Chris Qu profile image76
        Chris Quposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The upside down cross is actually also a Christian symbol. It's called the Cross of St. Peter.

10. Neinahpets profile image82
      Neinahpetsposted 11 years ago

I only know the sideways cross to be a fashion trend in jewelry... but only in jewelry is it a trendy thing rather than a representation of faith or nationality.  There is nationality meanings to it as a Nordic cross, but another user has covered that.

11. profile image49
      riot107posted 11 years ago

There is nothing that states anything negative in regards to the side ways cross. It is just a fashion trend. For me, I am a devoted Catholic, I like it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I have one and wear it proudly to express my devotion to God.

1. Sara Rachel profile image58
        Sara Rachelposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am not judging, but  why does a Catholic want to wear it sideways?
        i mostly see Catholics wear it hanging straight, why does there always have to be a change with the world?Its absolutely beautiful wearing it the way it always been worn.

12. laydem profile image58
      laydemposted 11 years ago

I'm a Christian and very cautious about everything now-a-days. You don't know what means what!! Like the owl jewelry everyone went crazy over, I found out that there is a meaning behind that. Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that I found out that jewelry is called the "fallen cross". I don't like the sound of that. I also found out, like somone else has mentioned,it symbolizes being "luke warm" in between God and the devil. Crazy! But like I said, who knows what anything really means, as long as have the right intentions! smile

Sara Rachelposted 11 years agoin reply to this

i like the answer you gave.I was going to purchase one, but wanted to understand all the hype about the sideways cross,,but do not want to wear it without understanding the meaning.

13. profile image52
      AnnaMarieParkerposted 11 years ago

The meaning behind the "sideways" cross is that because Our sins are as far as the East is to the West when the cross is sideways that is what it represents and how much Jesus loved us to die upon the Cross. They put it sideways because it makes it longer since the East and the West is a long ways away.

1. profile image49
        scarysherriposted 8 years agoin reply to this

OK!!

14. ForeverSaved profile image56
      ForeverSavedposted 11 years ago

I  don't like the Sideways Cross at aall To me it's just another way for Satan to mock what Jesus Christ did for all of us. He deceives many and I personally believe it is one of the MANY signs that surround us everyday that we should wake up and start seeing the big picture.  I personally will never buy the sideways cross regardless of what people say. I believe it is a way for Satan to deceive  Christians and give a false sense of security to everyone

Sara Rachelposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I like your answer and i am deciding now not to purchase this new trend sideway cross because i am not sure the agenda behind it especially if celebrities are so much promoting it. Thanks for your input.

2. profile image52
        Bigmj8489posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Amen!

3. Robin Nordstrom profile image55
        Robin Nordstromposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree also that even though it has been said that it is just a fashion trend, christains will believe that anything other that a cross the right way is a mockery of the christian faith!  When will people see this!  When it is too late I guess!

4. Bob Craig profile image58
        Bob Craigposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You know its wrong when celebs are wearing it.  Majority of Celebritys have solde there sole to the devil and quite happy to admit it

5. Bobby Shoutz profile image58
        Bobby Shoutzposted 10 years agoin reply to this

good girl. whatever it means, its a variation from the way we think of the cross and we have to look away when Satan tries his tricks.

6. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The cross itself is a pagan symbol - as is the fish symbol. I wear them BECAUSE they are pagan.

7. profile image49
        klzblzposted 10 years agoin reply to this

As  with  all  things,  there  are  many  interpretations...  However,  the  title East to West cross refers to the verse "He has removed our sins as far from us as the Eastis from the West." So  in  this  case  you  may  be  wrong.

8. clivewilliams profile image73
        clivewilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

second that

9. techygran profile image85
        techygranposted 9 years agoin reply to this

As a Christian I am happy NOT to wear any jewelry at all... I feel liberated from all the claptrap of that part of the commercial system and false adornment, but each to his own...

10. 4FoodSafety profile image61
        4FoodSafetyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you - I have to wonder if it is more a symbol to mock than promote so anytime there is a question mark I will stay far away.

11. profile image55
        Charity0121posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Anything that the celebrities wear It can't be good!You are one the few people online that think like I do...Love your answer!

12. Kiss andTales profile image60
        Kiss andTalesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Proud to hear your Comment  I'm  sure Jesus would be proud of you !

15. celafoe profile image54
      celafoeposted 11 years ago

maybe it got tired of standing.  or it fell down and cant get up

1. celafoe profile image54
        celafoeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

actually the cross is not a good sign of remembrance, may i suggest instead, get a "He is Risen" pin or necklace thats the most  important thing.   There are many different crosses that mean different things to people

16. connorj profile image69
      connorjposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7783306_f260.jpg

It is an outward sign of many things, that can be taken with regards to meaning as good, bad, and/or indifferent. I would think it wise to conclude that it is (most simply) what is in the heart of the wearer that is of significance/importance.

17. profile image52
      buwanekawakposted 11 years ago

As long as it is a cross, why should we bother about it's position, cross gives you a massage, so please follow it,

18. DavyCrockett profile image62
      DavyCrockettposted 11 years ago

It means Christ has power over death. The cross has toppled over.

1. profile image53
        abt79posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ohhhhhh......

2. Biomedical profile image67

Is that what they are telling them? Christians are too easily led into things that are against what they say they believe. Too many worship Satan, thinking it is God.

19. theonely profile image58
      theonelyposted 11 years ago

When it is on a female the cross seems to defy the girl because she is not a man,. When it is on a man it seems to 'point' downwards to a males body. You should not see a guy wearing it sideways. East and west are all about current location so how does that matter? Also, its an addition sign and the whole complete circle thing is a big part too, it keeps going around. I think its cool.

20. shimmerandstone profile image60
      shimmerandstoneposted 10 years ago

There is no actual or proclaimed spiritual meaning of the sideways cross necklace. The inception of this style began with the cross bracelet which is crafted in a "sideways" or "horizontal" orientation (unless it's a hanging charm). The same design was translated to the necklace, and became a popular trend, especially once celebrities began wearing them.

As the question of "what the meaning of the sideways cross" became more prevalent, a work around came about in the style variation of the "off-centered" sideways cross necklace. With the off-centered styling the cross more-or-less falls in a vertical orientation while being worn, although it is still a sideways design. with this particular design variation, craftsmanship is an important consideration, as the weight of the cross and clasp placement have to be positioned so that the cross stays in position and the chain maintains it's loop shape.

21. To Start Again profile image71
      To Start Againposted 10 years ago

I'd have to agree with the fashion trend idea. I've never heard of any particular meaning for it and if it meant something special, I would think it would be all over the place.

When the Rhianna's Beyonce's and Madonna are wearing these symbols, i know its not something i should or need to be wearing.I think its a mockery of Christ and they are trying to conceal its true meaning and they know people are going to be influence

22. Katscott profile image61
      Katscottposted 10 years ago

I agree with the thought that it is just a way to make the cross pendant more secure.  Isn't it even remotely conceivable that when it was first 'styled' that it was done so because they got their cross pendant caught on something (i.e. clothing) and it was broken off of the necklace?  Just because it's different does not mean that it is bad, it just means that it's different.  Nor does it mean that you worship Satan.

So my vote is that it is just a new way to take on the cross.

23. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
      Kathleen Cochranposted 10 years ago

There are places in this world where you can't wear a cross of any kind.  I'm not crazy about the trend, but I'm glad to live in a country where we can wear a cross or any religious symbol we choose.

24. WalterPoon profile image67
      WalterPoonposted 10 years ago

I guess the reason is pragmatic, rather than aesthetic. It's troublesome to have something dangling, right? As a man, I should know better, LOL.

25. ParadigmEnacted profile image76
      ParadigmEnactedposted 10 years ago

It's just another way for certain people to communicate to the world that they are full of it. No big deal. Just the way of the world.

26. avneet sidhu profile image58
      avneet sidhuposted 10 years ago

I think it looks more beautiful and trendy sideways.... and it is latest fashion trend I guess. Whatever the position or direction of the cross - it only indicates the Power of GOD!!!!!

27. Chuck Bluestein profile image60
      Chuck Bluesteinposted 10 years ago

Well it looks different and in this way you do not have a piece of metal hanging and flopping around when you move. It looks more practical to me.

28. profile image54
      Antigua06posted 10 years ago

The bible verse Psalm103:12 reads "He has removed our sins as far from us as the east is from the west"
      For me as a Christian I wear the the east west positioned cross as a symbol of Christ dying for me and removing our sins.

29. profile image51
      Pup507posted 10 years ago

I have heard it symbolizes sharing the burden of carrying the cross.

30. profile image0
      KenDeanAgudoposted 10 years ago

maybe it was a mockery to God, or a satanic symbol. But for those people who loves innovation and changes in fashion, it's only a way how to express themselves and create new stuff to wear.

i think your answer is right on and totally leading to the right point. Yes, i feel it is a mockery of Christ.

31. Sara Rachel profile image58
      Sara Rachelposted 10 years ago

When the Rhianna's Beyonce's and Madonna are wearing these symbols, i know its not something i should or need to be wearing.I think its a mockery of Christ and they are trying to conceal its true meaning and they know people are going to be influenced by celebrities and follow and wear the trend,but just like words and songs have a meaning so do symbols have a significance of meaning .I personally choose not to wear this trend though it looks unique and cute.I also stay away  from snakes,goth and dark type jewelry worshipping of other Gods.As well jewelry like locks and chains.I use to think chains and locks on my jewelry was no big deal but really dig deep and understand there is a meaning or a purpose for everything and you attract that when you participate and wear things that you are unsure of the meaning.If you are  uncertain about it and dont feel sure about something then your subconscious mind or conscience is speaking to you and its usually right. Whether you know the meaning or not if you are questioning it there is probably a very good reason why.

1. active40 profile image60
        active40posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Great topic. I also found a great description on a similar site.
        It had a very good description. http://sideways-cross-necklace.com/side … e-meaning/

32. profile image53
      wendygalposted 10 years ago

The name of the sideways cross, East-West, represents the Lord's love for us.  Casting Crown has a song called East to West that will give you a clear meaning.

33. old albion profile image62
      old albionposted 10 years ago

Why should some people wear the cross other than the right way up? A cry to be noticed I think, a cry to be the centre of attention perhaps. They know that a remark will be made by rational observers.
      Graham.

34. Christa Swope profile image35
      Christa Swopeposted 10 years ago

Personally I take it as "Take up your cross daily and follow Him".  That is exactly what it looks like to me, a cross that is being carried. God bless you all.

35. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 10 years ago

One interpretation holds that wearing the cross sideways means that "humanity is positioned right in the middle of heaven and hell. This makes it a neutral symbol."

36. edhan profile image36
      edhanposted 10 years ago

It is just fashion. I believe there is no meaning to it. But then if one is free to think, it can be of thousand reasons. I am simple therefore it is just fashionable.

37. fredoman profile image60
      fredomanposted 10 years ago

The cross itself means little of nothing to people who wear it to make a fashion statement. You answered it yourself. Simply put it's just another slant on how to wear their jewelry.

1. Nikhita Gajera profile image60
        Nikhita Gajeraposted 10 years agoin reply to this

n to mock what Jesus Christ did for all of us. He deceives many and I personally believe it is one of the MANY signs that surround us everyday that we should wake up and start seeing the big picture. I personally will never buy the si

38. victoria1800 profile image70
      victoria1800posted 10 years ago

Fashion designers have been asked this exact question, and many of them have said that it is just a new take on the traditional symbol.

39. Kemet Musiq profile image70
      Kemet Musiqposted 10 years ago

I take it as the dawning of the new age. Just like the drastic changes happening in the Vatican and the misspelling of Jesus on their coins recently. Or the guy overseas that says he can prove Jesus never existed. The New age is coming into existence on this planet. These are the expressions of that disposition. It is almost supernatural.

40. Lee Lee 513 profile image61
      Lee Lee 513posted 10 years ago

http://www.sidecrossnecklace.com/what-i … necklaces/
      This site might explain it, I had to look it up, I was curious after reading your question. I'm not sure I get it but some people are offended by it and some see it as the cross down after Christ had risen and other forms of honor and pride. Some think of it simply as fashion. smile

41. The Stages Of ME profile image82
      The Stages Of MEposted 10 years ago

Wonderful question and I am not sure of the answer, however, I am so pleased to learn from the responses.  I will be sharing the following as I love the answer.  Thank you for asking this question ~ Blessings
      "And, at one time it represented the picking up of your cross and following. No need to be upright, since the Christian has no need of being crucified as an individual or - that task according to the Bible has been completed.

There are allusions to it being an anchor hoisted on the bow indicated at full sail, in which case the direction of the cross has importance or which side the short end is on or the side that drops into the water when the anchor is set."

42. profile image52
      PresumptuousDivaposted 10 years ago

As Christians we can sometimes become so legalistic...so heavenly bound we are no earthly good.  The bible states that Jesus has defeated hell and death, and placing too much focus on a piece of jewelry is defeating. If we take our eyes off the jewelry and focus on the Cross then we can be deceived by what satan says or what he does. If we believe God and not man, and not satan we can do all things.I think we give satan too much power and too much credit.

I think your comment is unrealistic and not reality.Symbols are hugely important and a representation of groups and organizations.Look at the Cancer Society ,Look at the music videos so much strong emphasis on symbols because they are important.

2. profile image53
        crystal walshposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Your right, Romans 3:4 says, let God be true, and every man a liar. Some people jump to negative thoughts when they see or hear things. But when that comes remind yourself,  let God be true and every man a liar. Watch those negative things slowlyfade

43. feliciaelaine88 profile image60
      feliciaelaine88posted 10 years ago

I had a problem with this trend from the beginning!! Along with the upside down crosses on the leggings that no one EVEN CHRISTIANS had a problem wearing!! Alot i what i read people said this makes it trendy or more appealing. Well that flat out makes me feel like this is something holy that is being turned worldly as a christian i know we are not to mix the two. For those who say i dont mind as long as it is upside down if you rode by a church that had a cross not upright. But sideways on there building or positioned on there lawn or even if u went inside and everyone who had a cross it was positioned. Sideways would u feel that something is wrong??? Im sure many would speculate then that something may be wrong!! The fact that your wearing it is worse because that actually leads people to believe you are representing it and who wants to reprensent something they are not sure of?? In my opinion. Satan is crafty and i personally agree i think it is mockery my advice would be if your not sure Dont wear it!! Better yet pray and ask the father he will give you confirmation GOD BLESS

44. profile image53
      crystal walshposted 9 years ago

I think it is just a new way to express your Faith. The upright cross to a Christian symbolizes Jesus dying on the cross for your/our sins and the sideways cross is Him carrying our sin for Us. Each one is a remembrance of Jesus and what He did for You. Yes the upside down cross would be bad. For those who are not Christian, 1. Im sorry and 2. Its just simply a fashion trend for you but know that Jesus loves you no matter what you believe.  In the end everyone has their own opinion. Your going to believe what you want to believe but as a Christian I see the Good and Beauty in things not the bad, not the things that the devil wants you to think.

1. profile image52
        Fritz Faroposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't need a cross to say I'm a Christian, just as a doctor don't have to walk around his neck with a stethoscope to say he's a doctor. The truth is what you see is not always what it is. Celebs are used as tools...if you're a believer...watch!!

45. lostohanababy profile image58
      lostohanababyposted 9 years ago

To me as a Christian, it means, you are following the way of the Cross, in the salvation of Humanity.  A 'Follower' in Jesus Christ.   To be reminded of your commitment made in 'Faith' and to 'Believe' in the Savior.  Its just a modern expression.   Whatever it means to you, its okay, as long as its good.  I saw your picture image of it, its pretty.

46. Goldia profile image54
      Goldiaposted 9 years ago

It may a a new fashion trend to express your faith. Good companies that make Christian/Catholic jewelry sell the sideways cross.

1. profile image0
        Joshtheplumberposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The methodist cross was grossly misused decades ago. The flames are to represent your burning desire to love the Lord. Crosses were not meant to be burned as some sort of medieval threat. The Methodist tradition is one of service to the human family

47. Sarah Dill profile image71
      Sarah Dillposted 9 years ago

After reading a lot of the answers to this I agree with all of it. The cross will always have one meaning, and millions of interpretations. But like someone else said, it's just another trend. People will wear thing and say things without understanding the full meaning. Welcome to the future generation of stupidity. However, I do wear one of these as a bracelet everyday, but I have also had a cross necklace or bracelet since I was born, the meaning of this as Christ is stronger than death, is a powerful statement. It's almost like when you wear it, you can feel like you are stronger than anything that comes your way. At least for me.

48. hydee misiona profile image61
      hydee misionaposted 9 years ago

it depend on the cross if it has man at the center then it it meaningful but if not it is just only a decoration.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)