jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

How would you respond if someone said you had to much perfume on?

1. rutley profile image76
    rutleyposted 6 years ago

How would you respond if someone said you had to much perfume on?

Would you be insulted?

2. Alma Cabase profile image82
    Alma Cabaseposted 6 years ago

I would say...sorry but I can't control how I normally smell..hahaha

3. Sheila Lee profile image60
    Sheila Leeposted 6 years ago

Good answer Alma! LOL I wouldn't be insulted. Sometimes you really don't notice yourself how much you have on. And I would be appreciative that they were bold and honest enough to tell me. I would say "I appreciate you letting me know" and leave it at that. Why go into a big discussion about it when it will probably only lead to an arguement.

4. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 6 years ago

While I am not scent-sensitive, I have several friends who are.  People wearing too much perfume can actually cause them health problems.  I've seen friends have to leave restaurants or have to move seats at movies due to someone who is a walking chemical cloud.  My own personal dislike is guys on airplanes who seem to be drenched in nasty cologne that burns your eyes.

While I don't often wear scent, I would not be personally offended if someone told me my perfume was too strong to them because I know it's not something the people with issues do casually and that they often feel bad for having to say so.  That said, I purposely avoid perfumes when going out for many social occasions just so I don't contribute to occurrences such as that.

5. MarleneB profile image98
    MarleneBposted 6 years ago

I really don't like interfering with other people's space. That includes wearing so much fragrance that they are bothered by it. I understand that people have allergies to such things, so I would be grateful to someone who cared enough to let me know that my fragrance was too much.

6. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

Laugh and say, "well, this is a first". Normally, I forget deodorant and perfume. Typically, the comments I receive are that I do not have enough perfume. So I flaunt what they call "the bad smell" in their face tongue

7. xethonxq profile image67
    xethonxqposted 6 years ago

I would probably be embarrassed and then see what I could do to tone it down in the future.

8. Hubpage Gal profile image60
    Hubpage Galposted 6 years ago

The amount of perfume that one wears is a personal choice and most of the time they are not cognizant that the perfume is excessive.  In the workplace oftentimes, there is a code to inhibit wearing too much perfume especially in call centers where the employees are working closely in an office setting.  But because wearing the perfume is a personal choice, I think that it is up to the offended to avoid that person unless they are really good friends and a remark about the excessive perfume would not be out of place but thought of as being helpful.

9. Austinstar profile image88
    Austinstarposted 6 years ago

I am so highly allergic to some perfumes that just one whiff causes my throat to start closing up and I start gagging. I don't even have the time to tell them they are wearing too much/too irritating perfume.
    I don't understand how a person can even wear that much perfume.
    But since they are so totally indifferent to other's feelings, I don't think they should be offended by your telling them it's too much.

10. teaches12345 profile image96
    teaches12345posted 6 years ago

I suppose it would depend upon who mentioned it. I appreciate my family and friends letting me know if it is overwhelming. I usually do not wear perfume because I work in an environment that works to prevent allergic reactions in others.

11. capricornrising profile image61
    capricornrisingposted 6 years ago

I'd say, sorry. That's not perfume you're smelling...

working