jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Have you ever been racially insulted? What happened and how did it make you feel

1. livingabroad profile image76
    livingabroadposted 5 years ago

Have you ever been racially insulted? What happened and how did it make you feel?

I am living in Thailand but originally from the UK. Recently I got called a 'bleuak' in Thai, which basically translates as 'white ant'. However, they didn't realise I understood Thai. I didn't respond, but it was said with malice and meaning that I couldn't shrug it of or stop thinking about it. Any advice or similar stories?

2. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

As a child I was called a mutt and a bean. As I got older and the hispanic side seemed to fade a little I was called a cracker and honkie several times while in foster care. As an adult I have not been called anything. I couldn't care less if I was. What other's have to say is useless. It's a name, no more than that.

3. Attikos profile image80
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

Name calling is immature and dimwitted, used mostly by people without the mental capacity to provide better insults. Just consider the source and laugh it off.

4. SpanStar profile image62
    SpanStarposted 5 years ago

My experience was on-the-job in the cafeteria where some guy sitting at the table did not insult me directly he referred to my race in a racial slur. You are correct it tends to stay on your mind. We must however rise above the ignorance that surrounds us and recognize people who employ these acts already have relationships problems in their life so unless they change their path in life is set for how they will be viewed and how far in life they will go-ignorance can only take you so far.

5. profile image0
    Starmom41posted 5 years ago

Prior to recently, my only experience was an apartment manager who refused to put a refrigerator in our apartment and said she didn't want my child playing outside with the other children because her 'neighborhood' was only for people of their race.

More recently, though, I've been on the receiving-end of countless insults and lousy treatment over being multiracial.  Sometimes it hurts, but mostly makes me mad as h*ll that people can be so ignorant.

working