jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Is heat damaged hair permanently damaged?

1. Sharicey profile image60
    Shariceyposted 6 years ago

Is heat damaged hair permanently damaged?

I have completely natural hair( its only been a few months) and I have noticed that a section in the front of my hair is entirely different from the rest of my hair. That section tends to dry faster than any other part of my hair and the texture is not as fine. I started paying more attention to this unruly section and noticed that most of this hair is hair that would have made up my bangs when I had relaxed hair so I suspect that it might be heat damage. However I didn't know that heat damage can go so deep.

2. profile image0
    Louidam1posted 6 years ago

Yes heat damaged hair is permanently damaged and your hair will not revert back to it's natural state.  You either have to cut the damage parts off or just let it grow as it is but be more gentle to the damaged parts because it attends to break more easily.

3. Sharicey profile image60
    Shariceyposted 6 years ago

Thanks for your answer I really appreciate it. Crazy how we damage our hair in efforts of looking cute.

At the moment I have no choice but to let it grow as is because of where it is and my hair is still short. I will just have to give it a little TLC and hope for the best. I understand that my hair texture may change the more my hair grows out so all I can do right now is hope for the best. Thanks again!

4. Leanna McCarthy profile image68
    Leanna McCarthyposted 6 years ago

Heat damage can be a problem. If you can't cut off the damaged section, try aloe vera on your hair. I have curly hair, use it as a styling product and it works great. My hair has never been so healthy.

5. morningglory24 profile image61
    morningglory24posted 5 years ago

It matters how severely damaged it is.  I have extremely curly hair.  And I had this patch in the bag that was just frizz, no curl. It was heat damaged by my iron. I guess it was left unprotected too many times.  I didn't want to chop all my hair off, since it was just one patch. So I changed my shampoo that contained avocado oil and it has been a slow process, but I am starting to notice it repairing itself.