jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Can drinking hot beverages damage the lenses of my glasses?

1. blessedp profile image82
    blessedpposted 5 years ago

Can drinking hot beverages damage the lenses of my glasses?

I was told exposure to heat caused the film on my lenses to wrinkle.  I am exposed to no other but drinking hot beverages while wearing my glasses.  Do you think that is the cause?

2. donnaisabella profile image81
    donnaisabellaposted 5 years ago

I guess exposure to heat could include you using the microwave, stove, hot water, being out in the sun, your car etc. Making a cup of coffee with steam rising up, coffee pots etc, there are a lot of places where the heat exposure could happen. If ever you leave your glasses in your car, purse, put them on a counter when bathing, under the lamp. I can think of hundreds of sources of heat around the house besides you drinking coffee unless your coffee is so hot the heat radiates to your face and eyes smile

3. MickS profile image73
    MickSposted 5 years ago

If it were hot enough to damage the glass or plastic of spectacle lenses, you wouldn't want the liquid near your mouth.

4. harmony155 profile image72
    harmony155posted 5 years ago

If your glasses have an anti reflective lens coating ( which is no longer available ), the coating may peel and wrinkle with heat. New technology in antirefelective lenses is different- it is now incorporated within the matrix of the lens so it doesn't peel or wrinkle like it used to 10-15 years ago.

5. Hayley Richardson profile image79
    Hayley Richardsonposted 5 years ago

My husband is a lab manager at an opticians and said he has seen the following things cause this:

Leaving the glasses in the car on a hot day
    Leaving the glasses under a desk lamp
    Sauna
    Drying your hair with your glasses on
    Hairspray
    Washing your lens cloth and then using- apparently the detergent damages the coating

ETA: As Harmony said, this shouldn't happen with the new coating.

6. edhan profile image61
    edhanposted 5 years ago

I do believe the glasses have certain coating that will be protected against heat from steam like the sunglasses.

Glass material should be able to withstand the heat up to a certain degree but should be no problem with the steam from hot beverages.

7. Becky Katz profile image85
    Becky Katzposted 5 years ago

I have the same thing happening with my glasses and they are only two years old. Will not get them at the same place. I wear mine all the time and have been wearing glasses constantly for 45 years. Never happened before. Lousy coating and very disappointed in my $400 glasses.

8. blessedp profile image82
    blessedpposted 5 years ago

Thank you all for your comments, I really appreciate it; I have learnt the different factors that might have contributed to the damage lenses.  Have a great day all.

working