Tattoos and piercings - is it art? Why or why not? Do you judge those who have t

1. MissKatieLynne profile image44
    MissKatieLynneposted 6 years ago

Tattoos and piercings - is it art? Why or why not? Do you judge those who have them?

2. kmainka profile image60
    kmainkaposted 6 years ago

Disclaimer: I have six tattoos, so anything negative I might bring up about tattoos isn't me being "ignorant.")

I think it most certainly can be art! It all depends on how it's done, though. (In my opinion, at least!) Sure, if you have a bunch of shabby, meaningless splotches of images on your body, no, it's not art. Actually, I wrote a hub about this a while ago, all about my belief about tattoos and how they should be viewed/should mean. (I'm not trying to promote my hub at all... It just seems relevant to this.)

As a final comment- No, I don't judge those who have them. Unless, of course, there's someone who has something way obscene. For instance, a man came into the theater I work in, and he had "F*ck me" on his neck. In my personal opinion, that's not art... it just makes someone look obscene/trashy. (Again, not meant to offend anyone here.)

3. ar.colton profile image83
    ar.coltonposted 6 years ago

Is it art? Often times it is. I would say most of the time for tattoos. There are people who pick something off a wall while they're in the tattoo studio with their friends or who decide to get something because they think it's funny. But I think the vast majority of people with tattoos take at least some time to choose a piece that is meaningful and self-representative.
    Piercings can be art as well, but more often then not I think people get them because they appreciate the esthetic. I know that my tattoos have a great deal of significance for me, while my piercings just looked cool (I have since taken them out).
    As far as judgment goes, I do judge people who have tattoos but not in the way you might think. A tattoo says a lot about a person. The placement, style and colour scheme can be very significant. So yes, I judge people based on their appearance the same way I might judge someone based on their clothing or their haircut. We all do.