jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

Why are tattoos more socially acceptable than piercings?

1. Cristale profile image87
    Cristaleposted 5 years ago

Why are tattoos more socially acceptable than piercings?

This seems to be the deal lately...

2. Robikan profile image84
    Robikanposted 5 years ago

Tattoos are beginning to be accepted as a legitimate art-form, and so appreciation for them has increased, over all. Piercings, on the other hand, are more difficult for people to understand. My husband, an ironworker, puts it like this: "I spend all day trying to keep shards of metal *out* of my body, and then you go and get them put in!". A lot of people see piercing as mutilation or masochism, and many others simply don't find it attractive.

3. thelyricwriter profile image92
    thelyricwriterposted 5 years ago

Tattoos are viewed as art now a days and it truly is an art style. Plus, most tattoos hold symbolic value and a rich history on how they became what they have. These are the two main reasons tattoos are chosen, for art and symbolic meanings. Piercings do not offer that. Tattoos are also seen as a fashion, which is what piercings are.

4. ThompsonPen profile image77
    ThompsonPenposted 5 years ago

My guess would be because most tattoos are covered by clothing, and most piercings are somewhere on the head or on "unmentionable" bits. As a result, piercings are more (an literally) in your face than tattoos are. Personally, I have a love for piercings. I have currently have 18 piercings and only two tattoos. I think their better mainly because they aren't so permanent and you can swap out the jewellery to vary it up.

Cristaleposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Finally, some one who has a love for them. I only have two tattoos also. I have 11 piercings. Most people prefer tattoos, I have researched.

5. profile image0
    mjkearnposted 5 years ago

Some tattoos are amazing art work and a lot can be covered up. Personally I find a lot of colour around the neck off putting and I detest piercings through the eyebrow, the nose, the lip, the tongue etc.

6. Athina Pothoulakh profile image52
    Athina Pothoulakhposted 5 years ago

well i think that tattoos are more socially acceptable because people are now used to them...
    there are more people with tattoos than piercings and i think that tattoos weren't socially acceptable when they first came out as a fashion neither (i'm not sure about it but i think that tattoos appeared  before piercings)
    personally i love both of them
    i don't have any because i'm not allow to hmm

Cristaleposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Awe, they are way over rated any way!

7. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

Frankly, other that women wearing pierce earrings, I do not find either socially acceptable--just call me old fashion. If forced to choose, tattoos come in second, because they are there for life and someday, you will probably regret having them.