jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

How do I prevent my bras from stretching out over time?

1. Kristen Haynie profile image95
    Kristen Haynieposted 5 years ago

How do I prevent my bras from stretching out over time?

I currently own two quality bras (from Victoria's Secret). I was professionally fitted for these, and they fit perfectly when I bought them. I wash them only when needed, and use a special garment bag when doing this. I never put them in the dryer. I think I've taken pretty good care of them. However, I can hardly wear them now, because they've stretched out so badly. (I have not gained any weight or changed in size at all). Does anyone else have this problem? Is there something I'm doing wrong?

2. Cherrietgee profile image78
    Cherrietgeeposted 5 years ago

I don't think there's anything you can to prevent the stretchage or that you're doing anything wrong. The more you use something, the more it wears down. Maybe if you were to hand wash them, it would prolong them for a bit longer.

3. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

Elastic type fabric is not very hearty unfortunately.  The only thing I can think of is to wash them by hand rather than machine.  The spin cycle and agitation could be breaking down the smaller elastic fibers.  You might also check with VS and see what their guarantee is...maybe you could get an exchange or partial refund.

4. profile image0
    Miss Kate000posted 5 years ago

I think you are taking all the necessary steps to get the longest life possible, the only other thing you could try apart from handwashing them is wearing them less frequently. Nothing lasts forever and I had had this problem many times in the past. So i went bra shopping and bought lots of bras which means each one is worn less. They all last alot longer now due to less usage. If they are your favourite then you could try wearing them on special occassions only or when you want to really feel comfortable. Other times wear the normal ones. Best of luck.

5. profile image0
    Debbie Dallasposted 5 years ago

Don't wear one! No! J/k.... Wash by hand! Buy a bunch!  Or wear a sports bra- they WON'T stretch !

6. mtd profile image60
    mtdposted 5 years ago

This sounds like a horrible dilemma. I feel for you ladies. But bras are a relatively new inventions. They've only been around for about a hundred years. I guess they're still working out the kinks. In the mean time, just think of all the fame and glory one would receive if they could invent the perfect bra. I would be a hero among women! I mean, they would be a hero among women.

7. LilaDaley profile image61
    LilaDaleyposted 5 years ago

Wash by hand and hang dry.  IF you must wash them in the machine then hang them to dry.  The heat is murder on the material of a bra.

Closed to reply

working