jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Why doesn't our mind allow us to believe people when they tell us we are beautif

1. CraftingTime profile image75
    CraftingTimeposted 5 years ago

Why doesn't our mind allow us to believe people when they tell us we are beautiful?

2. EuroNinila profile image88
    EuroNinilaposted 5 years ago

Because we are all crazy....or maybe not, depending on who's telling us, I guess.  Insecurities don't help either.

3. backporchstories profile image81
    backporchstoriesposted 5 years ago

Our mind will play that nasty trick on us because when we look into the mirror we do not see the beauty that everyone else sees, instead we zero in on the inperfections.  Such as....how can they not see my nose is slightly crooked!  But true beauty is that within us that shines out, not in image but in personality.

4. nochance profile image92
    nochanceposted 5 years ago

Because you keep telling yourself you are not beautiful.

If you focus on the positive, if every day you look at yourself in the mirror and tell yourself you are beautiful (whether you believe it at the time or not), over time you will begin to believe it and your perceptions of yourself will begin to match those who compliment you. If you have a hard time remembering put a post-it on your mirror to remind yourself "You're Beautiful!"

Instead of complaining about features you don't like (acne, a crooked nose, a mole) focus on the things you do like (the color of your hair, the color of your eyes, how your lips look).

By focusing on the positives you focus less on the negatives and will begin to see yourself as the beautiful person you are.

5. Ella Quirk profile image77
    Ella Quirkposted 5 years ago

Often it's plain old insecurity but it could just also just be a natural scepticism. As EuroNinila mentioned, it can depend on who is paying us the compliment. For example, if my mum says "your beautiful",  I'm not going to buy it because I know she's biased. Similarly if I think someone is trying to ingratiate themselves with me, I might think it's false flattery. Also I suspect we tend to have higher standards for ourselves than we do for others.

6. MickeySr profile image80
    MickeySrposted 5 years ago

Well - we know people don't always tell the truth, and we know propriety inclines most people to not say thing to us that might offend us or hurt our feelings, so, if someone tells us to our face that we are attractive our first assumption could reasonably be that the information they are announcing may not be accurate and that they are just being nice. To me, the real, or more significant or telling questions are; why do we care so much about appearance, why do we care so much about other's opinions, and why are some inclined to unreasonably diminish themselves while some are inclined to unreasonably advance themselves?

Often it's not even a matter of diminishing or advancing yourself, it's simply changing what you are to what others are - girls with long hair cut it short while girls with short hair wish it was long, brunettes dye their hair blond while blonds dye their hair brown, tall wish they were short and short wish they were tall, etc, etc . . . meanwhile there is always that very unattractive girl who promotes herself as 'all that' or 'I could be a model', etc. None of it makes any sense yet so many dedicate so much of their attention to appearance. I mean, I don't want people to think I'm ugly, I'm glad I'm reasonably presentable - but I just don't see the benefit of giving any attention or effort to caring what others think of my looks . . . now, if people thought I was a racist, talked ugly to my wife, or kicked my dog, etc, I would give attention to that.

7. old albion profile image72
    old albionposted 5 years ago

Because we know we are not beautiful. You can deceive others but you cannot deceive yourself.