jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

How can I tone down over-bright lipstick?

1. innerspin profile image93
    innerspinposted 5 years ago

How can I tone down over-bright lipstick?

The darned thing looked fine in the shop.

2. profile image75
    Annabelle Tylerposted 5 years ago

I like to mix it with another more muted shade. But, I think many places will let you return the item even though it's been used.

1. lupine profile image73
      lupineposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I would do the same.

3. lupine profile image73
    lupineposted 5 years ago

I would mix it with another shade you like, or return it. The lighting in stores doesn't give the true color of how it will look when you go outside, or in your own home. Ask to try it on and sample the color outside the store to check the color.

4. MrsBkay profile image84
    MrsBkayposted 5 years ago

I have pretty, green eyes. I've always played up my eyes. Recently I've wanted to try the red, red, RED lip look that's trendy now-a-days. What I've learned is you can get away with bright colored lips if you keep your eyes soft. Also, wearing a more daring outfit or pairing a dressy floral dress with a leather jacket will make the lipstick match, rather than compete. If you bought the lipstick and can't stand how bright it is, try dabbing a little from the inside of your lip out until you get the hue you like. Also, swiping on a lip gloss or balm first will protect your lip from stains and leave the lipstick looking a little more subdued.

Hope it helped!

5. janshares profile image96
    jansharesposted 5 years ago

I suggest buying a neutral shade to use as a base, then put your red on top.

6. Kriz Smith profile image60
    Kriz Smithposted 14 months ago

Go over it with a powder foundation. It will not only tone it down but it will make it blend with your skin tone a bit better

working