This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (16 posts)

What traditional garments do you (or did your ancestors) wear? (Weekly Topic Ins

1. Christy Kirwan profile image
    Christy Kirwanposted 5 years ago

What traditional garments do you (or did your ancestors) wear? (Weekly Topic Inspiration)

Every culture has its own rich and significant history, and exploring traditional forms of dress can be a great way to learn about our ancestors, our heritage, and ourselves. Do you wear the traditional clothing of your culture or religion? Do you know what your ancestors wore 300 years ago? Can you describe how to wear a particular item of traditional clothing? Let us know in a Hub for this week’s Weekly Topic Inspiration theme! For group support and the full WTI how-to, stop by our official forum thread: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/109957

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

My ancestors were Cherokee Indians so they would wear clothing based upon the time of year. Most clothing was made from deer skin, woven cloth and Cherokee plant leaves. Animal fur was also used in clothing for the winter.

1. Simone Smith profile image94
      Simone Smithposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That's fascinating!! Oh, please please please write a Hub about this! I'd love to read it. big_smile

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Simone. I did write a hub about the trail of tears. What the United States government put the Cherokee people through while relocating them to Oklahoma.

3. hrymel profile image94
    hrymelposted 5 years ago

Is underwear considered a traditional garment?  I feel like it hasn't been worn across the board by everyone.

Christy Kirwanposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Ooh, origins of different types of undergarments would be fascinating to read about. Go for it!

4. MarieAlana1 profile image70
    MarieAlana1posted 5 years ago

Let's see! My ancestors are from Germany. So, the typical things that germans wore back then. My husband is originally from Togo (in Africa). His grandfather was the king or chief of the Ewe. The Ewe still sometimes dress up in their traditional clothing. He wore a lot of gold and kente cloth.

Both of those would make amazing Hubs!

5. elayne001 profile image79
    elayne001posted 5 years ago

The Tongan peop of Oceania wear clothes that show respect to the Royal Family. When going to an affair where royalty is expected, certain clothes are expected. Tradition also dictates funeral attire. read more

6. profile image0
    Jane Holmesposted 5 years ago

My great grandfather was Abenaki but by that time he was a farmer and dressed like other early Americans. This is something I will look into and see if I can come up with a hub, What a great topic!

Cool! Abenaki traditional garb and early American garb would both make amazing subjects for Hubs!

7. cashmere profile image83
    cashmereposted 5 years ago

Dindl and Lederhosen - Many older people in Germany still wear the traditional attire daily  nilexuk CC-By via Flickr The traditional ethnic dress for the Alpine area which covers modern day Germany's Bavaria, Liechtenstein and South Tyrol regions... read more

8. Ruchira profile image76
    Ruchiraposted 5 years ago

Indian Saree has evolved over time, and till date is still worn by many women world wide. This hub talks about the origin of Saree and the different types available. read more

Wow, I did not know that the Saree had such a long history! Fascinating read, thanks Ruchira!

9. Ruchira profile image76
    Ruchiraposted 5 years ago
  10. Patty Inglish, MS profile image94
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 4 years ago

What did Mohawk families wear from 1800 - 1900? While they had their own traditional clothing, they readily added European pieces to their wardrobes as they made friends with settlers. read more

working